Warner Robins GA

I know this is going to come off as amateur as eff but can someone tell me how to get that build up sound? You know in dance music how there's a build up right before everything get's intense and the "real" core of the song starts? I thought if I made a table with a pitch shift function that would slowly build up that it would work but I must have done something wrong. Anyone know how to achieve this effect?

Planet Zaxxon

i would say to just do an extremely slow pitch bend command.. I dont use lsdj so I dont know the command! but for me it would be E01 or 101, OR if LSDJ has a fine pitch bend command... that may work better, and would be slower....

Planet Zaxxon

oh oops.. I assumed you use LSDJ. ha

Warner Robins GA

I do use LSDJ, im trying to figurethis out with a pitch bend but it just won't work

California

The P command doesn't work well for extremely slow pitch bends. What I usually do is have a chromatic scale going up with one note every couple steps (depends on the speed you want it) and use L01 to slide into the notes to approximate a smooth pitch bend. It doesn't give the smoothest slide, but you can get it pretty close.

As far as I know LSDJ doesn't have a fine pitch bend function.

Last edited by VCMG (May 12, 2012 8:31 pm)

Warner Robins GA

Thanks! Gonna try this out now!

vancouver, canada

You may want to try changing the VIB. TYPE for your instrument to something other than HF.  this affects the speed of pitchbends as well.

it depends on how long you want your pitch bend to be though.  If that doesn't satisfy what you're trying to do, VCMG's method works as well.

California

Huh, I didn't know the vib type affected pitchbend speeds. Gonna have to try that out sometime.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]
VCMG wrote:

Huh, I didn't know the vib type affected pitchbend speeds. Gonna have to try that out sometime.

Hm. Me either. The more you knowww~

Listen to this at 1:40 : http://chipforcancer.bandcamp.com/track/zef-subsonic
Is that what you're talking about?

What you want to do is make a pulse instrument and change the Vib. type from HF to a squiggly sine wave, this slows down all pitch functions on that instrument a lot. Then go and place a low note and Use a P-01 command and it'll bend up super slow.

If you want it to gate and cut in and out like mine without interrupting the pitch bend use O commands with to mute and unmute the channel, or just put it on a table with

O-LR                             G-00
O-(greyed out LR)
H-00

And change the groove to something that fits the timing you want. If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

@ VCMG, I'm surprised you haven't used the slow pitch bends yet, they give you a lot more control! That should open up a few cool new tricks for you.

Last edited by Zef (May 12, 2012 9:06 pm)

Warner Robins GA

Thanks yall, got it working with a P cmd, it worked a LOT better without using a table. Just made about 4 chains and put the p command halfway through  and it bent up gradually to the 4th chain perfectly.

Riverside, CA

Like in here?
http://weeklybeats.com/#/jiffypop23/music/w32myzorfkyf
Source files are in there wink