pixls nailed it right on the head. When I'm playing guitar with it live it's obviously a pre-written track, but when I'm just using the software I'm editing as many parameters that I can think of-Q, solo/mute/pan, even tasteful EQ tricks on the house mixer can help. If you watch videos of an an0va show sometime you'll see that even if a song is "press play and go nuts," I'm still obviously doing a lot of stuff live-because there are a TON of screw ups (unplugged cords, silly channel solos. songs playing on the non-active gameboy, hahaha). But that's okay-you learn to go with those instances and recover! Kris Keyser recently said to me that on-stage errors really can add character to a live set...that's something I'm beginning to whole-heartedly agree with. It's LIVE, be creative-don't be afraid to try something really wacky if you'd like to!

Another thing to note is that I re-arrange parts, edit instrument parameters (i.e. - beef up the mix and/or tighten rhythms), and add transitions that are unique to every live show so far. This ensures that every show is special and it keeps me interested but on the other hand, it also adds more probably to Murphy's Law-but that's what makes it so exciting!

The most important part is that I'm still learning more and more about this with every show I see. There is no wrong answer-if the music is nice, you can do your own thing! Experimenting with external outboard effects is something I also look forward to doing in the future. pixls and I talked about that a while back and it's something that really sparks my interest-time to whip out the guitar pedals!

Philadelphia, PA
an0va wrote:

pretty much the exact post i would have written

tweaking instrument parameters. adding tables. using octaves. soloing and muting things. anything you can think of that won't make the song completely fall apart adds to the experience for the audience smile

Crooked Sidewalks wrote:

I feel like standing behind a laptop and hitting play would be a joke....

Get totally off your face, then run to the speaker after you press play.

It'll be great smile

Planet Zaxxon

EX:

or

Planet Zaxxon

and I just press play with adlib tracker II, and hit some drums to it. yesh yesh!

D D D Detroit, not the burbs

do you use only the computer?  If you have some outboard gear maybe hook something up to your aux sends on your mixer, maybe a pedal or fx processor?

Dublin, IN
DJCactus wrote:

do you use only the computer?  If you have some outboard gear maybe hook something up to your aux sends on your mixer, maybe a pedal or fx processor?

Yeah, basically. I use FamiTracker, Sunvox, and Hammerhead. Sometimes all three at once, but I can't figure out how to syncronize them manually. I have a distortion pedal, and that's about it.

To all others: I've been paying attention, and appreciating a lot of the ideas, but I'm much too lazy to reply to all of them. xD Thanks for the help!

Westfield, NJ
om wrote:
Crooked Sidewalks wrote:

I feel like standing behind a laptop and hitting play would be a joke....

Get totally off your face, then run to the speaker after you press play.

It'll be great smile

so guilty of this

washington

It kinda feels like cheating, like I'm playing a show with my iPod or something. That's why I don't like using LSDj unless it's with a keyboard, in real time. Maybe it's weird, but I know exactly what you're talking about.

San Francisco
Reteris wrote:

what's so bad about hitting play and just fucking sitting down and staring at the audience

Brilliant. I'm so doing this in LA in June. I'll get a great big comfy chair and just eyefuck the audience.

--

Last edited by ioflow (Nov 7, 2013 7:42 am)

Joliette, QC, Canada

1.Press play
2.???
3.Profit !

Westfield, NJ
XyNo wrote:

1.Press play
2.???
3.Profit !

http://www.iimusic.net/catalog/2011/02/ … ed-is-love

I can attest to this strategy, after having seen ??? live and thoroughly enjoying it.

Chicago IL

practice

rochester, ny
an0va wrote:

pixls nailed it right on the head. When I'm playing guitar with it live it's obviously a pre-written track, but when I'm just using the software I'm editing as many parameters that I can think of...

what if there was a guitar pedal style controller for the gameboy, with specific buttons to mute/solo certain channels, and other buttons to control some of the other parameters maybe? THAT WOULD BE COOL.

IL, US

^ see animal style live footage?