USA

From sequencing Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk concerts in the 80's to tearing up the dance floor at the 2010 Blip Festival, Atari's reputation as a music monster machine has persisted for a quarter of a century. For MIDI synth enthusiasts, the Atari was and still is the ultimate bridge between man, music, and machine. For chip musicians, the Atari's untapped sonic palette has yet to paint the ever-expanding canvas of 8-bit music.  But the Atari was more than just a great computer - it defined an entire era that included synthesists and chiptuners from the Amiga, Commodore, ZX Spectrum, NES, PC, and MAC communities. AMN welcomes and celebrates all vintage digital musicians no matter what their computer - as long as it's slightly yellowed, of course!

The Atari Music Network (AMN) aims to:

•    Provide free webspace for all vintage computer musicians to create professional pages they can upload their music and videos to.
•    Stimulate social interaction between vintage computer musicians and developers through AMN's Forum, Facebook Group, and Twitter.
•    Encourage ex-developers to update and redistribute commercial software or release it into the public domain.

Specific to Atarians

•    Advocate and sponsor Atari based musicians in the MIDI & 8-bit music scene.
•    Catalog and review all known Atari music software and hardware.
•    Collect and offer hard to find Atari warez (abandoneware only).
•    Collect and offer sysex sound banks and software utilities for MIDI synths.

- Donovan

Atari Music Network
Join the AMN Forum
Follow AMN on Twitter
Join AMN on Facebook

Last edited by Atari Music Network (Apr 21, 2010 5:11 am)

New York City

Only 8-Bit? No ST stuff?

Slovakia / European Union

http://www.atarimusic.net
Akira ONLY ST, FALCON stuff plus 8BIT Reviews wink

Sweden

ST isn't 8-bit?

USA

The Atari Music Network bridges the gap between MIDI synth users and 8-bit YM2149 musicians - so come on over and join the forums to contribute your knowledge and network with other fellow Atarians!

Milwaukee, WI

I love this site!  However... it appears it focuses on ST stuff.  I saw a mention of synthcart but if you are going for the entire Atari entourage, more comprehensive 2600 and POKEY stuff would be cool.  If not, this is the best ST site on the net!  smile

Sweden
Atari Music Network wrote:

8-bit YM2149 musicians

I don't wanna be a boring negative moaner, but I believe there's no such thing.

uhajdafdfdfa
aent wrote:
Atari Music Network wrote:

8-bit YM2149 musicians

I don't wanna be a boring negative moaner, but I believe there's no such thing.

What do you mean? I don't understand. It's an 8-bit chip. It has 8-bit registers and an 8-bit data bus.

You guys are being pedantic. It's pretty clear that he meant "8-bit" in a non-technical generic way, as a synonym for "chip music".

New York City

I got confused at first too and this is only to blame to the 'community'  as a whole.
Usually, the main CPU of the machine that hosts the synthesizer is the one that dictaminates if it's "8-bit" or not. The Atari ST has a 16 bit processor so it obviously leads to confusions. Is YM music really 8-bit music by 'our' definition? If we are changing all the time, we will get confused wink

(the SID is not really an 8-bit chip, if we are looking only at the soundchip...)

Last edited by akira^8GB (Feb 20, 2010 3:34 pm)

Slovakia / European Union

Yes YM chip is same as AY in ZX Spectrum.

uhajdafdfdfa
akira^8GB wrote:

I got confused at first too and this is only to blame to the 'community'  as a whole.
Usually, the main CPU of the machine that hosts the synthesizer is the one that dictaminates if it's "8-bit" or not. The Atari ST has a 16 bit processor so it obviously leads to confusions. Is YM music really 8-bit music by 'our' definition? If we are changing all the time, we will get confused wink

(the SID is not really an 8-bit chip, if we are looking only at the soundchip...)

Well, MSX2 (yes, I know this thread is about Atari, I just like to be pedantic wink) has YM2149 and Z80 processor, so there's still a few "8-bit YM2149 musicians", whichever way you look at it. tongue

edit: and also "8-bit YM2149 musicians" is ambiguous enough to mean either "musicians using the 8-bit YM2149" as well as "8-bit musicians using the YM2149", so I think there is no problem. Sorry for the off topic!!

Last edited by ant1 (Feb 20, 2010 4:43 pm)

Sweden

Well, that might be so, but to me the YM2149 is 4-bit, since there are 16 levels of volume to access. smile

New York City
aent wrote:

Well, that might be so, but to me the YM2149 is 4-bit, since there are 16 levels of volume to access. smile

o_O So you judge on the DAC resolution?
What would you call the SID, then? O_o

Sweden
akira^8GB wrote:
aent wrote:

o_O So you judge on the DAC resolution?
What would you call the SID, then? O_o

No, I dont know. But since the pulse and noise channels of the Game Boy is 4-bit and lots of people refer to the Game Boy sound as 4-bit I think it's fitting. I think its irrelevant to speak about the CPU of the machines, since chiptune is about the sound and music, and the limitations of the chips. At least to me, especially when you take the chip out of the computer/console and build a Midibox or HardSID or something around it. So to me there's nothing 8-bit about making music on the ST except maybe the DMA-chip in STe.

But hey, this is way off topic and I apologize for rioting this thread. We can discuss this in another thread or something.

edit: misspelled

Last edited by aent (Feb 21, 2010 2:29 pm)

USA

Introducing AMN Live! from the Atari Music Network!

MN Live! is a free, professional publishing tool designed to help you promote your 8-bit chiptune or vintage MIDI synth music to a targeted, global audience. Within minutes, you can create an artist's profile and begin adding albums and songs for others to listen, rate and comment on. You can include cover art, profile pics, and discography data as well as written reviews, lyrics and chords for every song you add! You can even associate your music with other registered artists for cross-promotion and collaborative projects.

AMN Live! was designed to get your music heard and appreciated! That's why AMN Live! integrates social bookmarking with Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, and many other major sites. There's also built-in SEO tools to help search engines index and rank your content higher.

Even though the service is free, the Atari Music Network is the only chiptune and vintage MIDI community that pays out of pocket for Facebook and Google ads – so your music has a much better chance of getting noticed!... See More

You don't have to be an Atari user to join either! The Atari Music Network welcomes chiptune and MIDI musicians from the Commodore, Amiga, Spectrum, Nintendo, PC, and Mac communities to join!

Join the revolution of vintage digital music!
Atari Music Network

- Donovan

Join the AMN Forum
Follow AMN on Twitter
Join AMN on Facebook

Last edited by Atari Music Network (Apr 21, 2010 5:05 am)