London, UK

I made a little tutorial on a cool live trick that can be used to route an input on ableton 8, here i've done it with lsdj

and a little live preview of something that the song in that video turned into this afternoon

http://soundcloud.com/sabrepulse/sabrep … e-mix-demo

Last edited by Sabrepulse (Feb 20, 2010 11:10 pm)

Milton Keynes, England

nice video.

i made a table that can be assigned to kick instruments in lsdj to get a sidechain effect.
it involves m commands to drop the volume of all the channels and then bring them back up again.
as long as your kick is a fair bit louder than your other instruments it should work alright.
obviously it doesn't sound nearly as good as sidechaining using a DAW, but i made it when i was only using raw lsdj.

the table goes something like this

CMD
0   M44
4   M55
8   M66
A
B
C   M77
D
E   H0D
F

with the other command table being used to create your kick sound.
and you can obviously change that around to create faster/slower release times and such.

sorry, little bit of a threadjack there... but i thought it was kinda relevant. smile

London, UK

definitely relevant, I spent some time the other week trying to sidechain in lsdj (after noticing your patchbook entry http://lsdj.2x26.com/patch/jonnyriddle/ … ffect-kick

it's good but like you say you can to have everything turned right down and it's quite fiddly - neat trick though big_smile

Last edited by Sabrepulse (Feb 20, 2010 10:04 pm)

Milton Keynes, England
Sabrepulse wrote:

it's good but like you say you can to have everything turned right down and it's quite fiddly

yeahh, it's not too smooth either haha.

I've always just put a table that goes:

0   E01
1   E02
2   E03
3   E03
4   H00
A
B
C
D
E
F

Set with a groove that just coincides with your default groove. Works really well in the wav channel with distorted saw type sounds. That or E00,E01,E02,E03 instead.

For the pulse channels it needs a bit more of fiddling to get the right volume command. Although you can make each fade upwards in those channels which works well.

Plymouth, UK
Sabrepulse wrote:

Little MIDI controller

Nice video. I'm thinking about getting some music software for my Mac, which would be best; Ableton or Logic?

London, UK
2XAA wrote:
Sabrepulse wrote:

Little MIDI controller

Nice video. I'm thinking about getting some music software for my Mac, which would be best; Ableton or Logic?

apples and oranges, they're two very different applications - it depends on what you want to do