In this thread I will post updates on projects I am doing such as circuit bending, mods and general DIY ect....

This thread is to save myself from clogging up the forum with loads of different threads with projects which I might not even finish, it also lets me have a lovely index with links to posts as to where you can find specific information and also so people can ask question if they feel the need to

PROJECTS

In Progress
Super Boomer Mod
Custom NES Cartridges

more to come...

Last edited by Flopps (Feb 22, 2010 9:15 pm)

Super Boomer Mod

http://i47.tinypic.com/28s50yc.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/2zppjb8.jpg

The Idea of this mod is to add more line out jacks to a "Doc's Mini Boomer" which is a unit that plugs into the headphone jack of a original gameboy and then outputs the audio in 2 speakers inside the device which makes it "true stereo". I saw some going cheap and decided to buy 3 of them myself to see if I could add 2 RCA jacks and possibly somehow (do not know if its possible) add some sort of crossfader so you could switch from the left to right sound channel which would be pretty neat for live performances.

The Unit does a amazing job out of the box, makes the device SO MUCH LOUDER AND CLEARER than the original inbuilt speaker inside the gameboy, only downfall is that it does goes a bit distorted if you turn the volume to the max, but I am guessing thats the speaker itself which I might replace anyways to accomidate more room and better sound quality. Perfect for composing without headphones as people around you can clearly hear your music even before the distortion limit which I mention above. Will be using this for composing for now on.

Well lets start by showing you the device itself...
The Device is powered by 2 AA Batterys and features a on/off switch with a red LED which indicated when you have the device turned on, It fits rather snug, and I find it to be rather comfortable, maybe because it makes the gameboy as a whole a bit longer it would give you less handcramps or make it longer for handcramps to form as your hand is not curled as much.

PICTURES!!!

After Reviewing the unit I think I will be able to add 2 RCA jacks at the bottom and then add a switch next to the power toggle which will switch it from "Pro sound and unmodded" which is a nice feature to have. bearing in mind your original headphone jack in the DMG would need to be pro sound modded for this to work. The crossfader idea will probably never happen though, I wouldnt know where to start and from my guesses there is not enough room to even make this happen, a cool idea... but one I will sadly not be able to acomplish...

Last edited by Flopps (Feb 19, 2010 8:54 am)

Minneapolis

Pull the speakers out and you can add crossfading. Actually, with a small enough slider you could make it work too.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

I've been wanting to buy a bulk quantity of these to build a magical circuit inside for DMG add-on's.
You got a source on these flopps?

arfink wrote:

Pull the speakers out and you can add crossfading. Actually, with a small enough slider you could make it work too.

I have searched forever and can not find any information on how to build my own, do you know how I could obtain said information?

Would be really useful for future projects

low-gain wrote:

I've been wanting to buy a bulk quantity of these to build a magical circuit inside for DMG add-on's.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nintendo-Gameboy- … 1689wt_939

Get em while they are hot!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

i emailed him asking if i could buy in bulk. i should have bought up all the nuby brand ones from allelectronics when they had them.

anyways..

cross fader would be cool but an actual fader will be expensive.. just use a stereo pot. Also.. keep in mind you'll lose 6 dB of output level if you do a cross fader/pot.

low-gain wrote:

You and your secret..secrets!

Super Boomer Mod update: Decided for one of the units I am going to strip out all the guts and add a set of 2 RCA jacks, 1/4" (guitar size) jacks, ordinary headphone jack and maybe some others if I think it would be a good idea.

If anyone is interested in buying one of these once I have modded them feel free to PM me!

!!!!NEW PROJECT!!!!

Got enough parts in today to start on my new project! This one I am extremely excited to start work on, should be alot of fun! Before I tell you all what it is have a look at the picture bellow and you will probably be able to guess what I am doing almost instantly...

Just incase you could not tell I am going to be making some Custom NES Cartridges, These cartridges will probably be host to glitchNES and maybe some other no-carrier/visual software.

Ok now lets talk about the donor boards, all of them are NROM cartridges and are either 128 or 256 boards (you can find out which games are NROM and wether they are 128 or 256 here http://www.thenesdump.com/Mappers/NROM.htm). They are all PAL A region.

I will be using 27c256 EPROM's to replace the CHR and PRG eproms.

For now all I can do is desolder the already existing ROM's on the board, and fit in a socket so I can easiy swap out different EPROM's, I will use this as my "test" cartridge for when I burn EPROM's with information and need to make sure that everything works before I solder them into another cartridge. I should be getting some Sockets in the mail tomorrow aswell as another NES console so work should be picking up quickly.

I should in the week be getting in the mail around 15 NROM cartridges and 30 EPROM's so I have alot of parts to spare around incase people would like me to produce them some cartridges (again, PM me and let me know what you need).

ahhh so excited for this project!

Questions/Comments welcome

Last edited by Flopps (Feb 22, 2010 4:11 pm)

Desoldering the already in place rom's is turning out to be a real pain in the ass... Received my sockets today so this cartridge is now my "test" unit which I will use to see if I have programmed my EPROM's correctly. Once I have put in place the sockets I will cut a area out of the front cover so that the case can be closed up (With sockets added you cant close the case).

Does anyone have and suggestions on how I can easily desolder these 28 pin rom chips? My spring loader solder sucker is a piece of shit.

Received 2 cartridges in the post today, should receive the rest in the next few days followed by the EPROM's I bought and NES Console later on in the week/early next week.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

cut the old chips out.. then use your soldering iron to heat up a bunch of solder on one side of the cut legs and pull them out.
Desoldering wik or solder sucker plunger should do the rest for clearing out the holes.

I'm spoiled and use one of these: Makes life much easier.

low-gain wrote:

cut the old chips out.. then use your soldering iron to heat up a bunch of solder on one side of the cut legs and pull them out.
Desoldering wik or solder sucker plunger should do the rest for clearing out the holes.

I'm spoiled and use one of these: Makes life much easier.

Exactly what I was doing, however I seemed to have lost all of my solder tips so I am forced to do such tasks with a ridiculously over sized tip /: I will have to pop out and do some more at which point il probably buy a new solder pump as the one I am using is terrible.

I envy you with you solder iron vacuum gun thing! Do you have any idea how much one of those cost?

NOW WITH PICTURESSSSS!!!

Sockets in place!

Oh look what came in the mail today!

Received a Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt cartridge in the mail yesterday even though the ebay auction was labelled as Super Mario Bros, apparently its not acceptable as being a donor board so with this cartridge I will be taking out the cic region chip in one piece and recycle the case for future use.

I then plan to on my "test cartridge" take out the cic region chip and add in place a socket so I can easily change what region the cartridge is set to which will be perfect if incase someone requests I make them a cartridge in NTSC or something....

Collection of cartridges is ever growing...

Last edited by Flopps (Feb 25, 2010 12:42 pm)