Have had  google, but not found anything yet on the more advanced aspects (i.e. not just pressing "save as wav" in Milky Tracker) of this process.

Though I love the crunchyness of no interpolation it sometimes seems to my ears that there is something missing in the high midrange and the bass also feels a bit thin.

One solution I was thinking of was to make two outputs, one of them with interpolation and mix this with the main raw output using only the frequency bands it feels like the track is lacking and at a much lower volume.

It's a bit weird though.

So I'm looking at XMPlay now, to see if there's anything in the settings which can help.

Anyone here done any experimenting ?

Would really appreciate any tips or links to online resources if they exist

cheers !

Paris, France

From memory, maybe look at outputing audio in wav from Winamp/VLC with the basic In_Mod or another module playing plugin that is in

Last edited by DJ-PIE (Sep 30, 2012 6:51 pm)

Maybe i had it configured bad, but Winamp did some strange things to the xm's i listened to hrough it.  Timings on the pitch slides sounded way off.

Maybe I wasn't using a good module player plugin though.

Will add that to the 'to experiment' list, ty for the suggestion

-- edit for ipadkeyboardbadness

Last edited by om (Sep 30, 2012 7:05 pm)

Katowice, Poland

WINAMP + XM = OH MY GOD.

It is even hard to call it module playback.

Jakim wrote:

WINAMP + XM = OH MY GOD.

not just me then wink

Holland
Jakim wrote:

WINAMP + XM = OH MY GOD.

Haha yeah, why does that feature even exists. It does nothing but bad to a module.

You can try and use the export to wav in Modplug tracker. It's pretty good.

Katowice, Poland
xylo wrote:

Long time ago I have rendered many .mod files using ModPlug (1.16, I don't know how about OpenMPT) but people complain about module quality, there was nothing left with classic Amiga sharpness (no resampling/interpolation doesn't really help, it just sounds different). Anyway, maybe such sound is your goal. I find ModPlug sound polishing algorithm weak and muffling. Funny thing because I work with ModPlug and even original FastTracker 2 output seems to be a bit better big_smile.

If you are patient (you are), separate every track and render them using dedicated settings.

Last edited by Jakim (Sep 30, 2012 8:43 pm)

Jakim wrote:

If you are patient (you are), separate every track and render them using dedicated settings.

Using modplug ?

Does rendering one at a time increase quality ?

I did consider something like this a while back, exporting everything individually and loading them into a digital multitrack, for a 20 channel track this would wouldn't be so much effort, but keeping track of what works where would take some serious concentration.

With mixing I find that a small change in one level for example, means alterations are required in five other parts.

The issue I percieve is the lack of frequency presence in some bands which is noticeable in every song, and on every channel to some extent.. so I think the solution is going to be on a song level raher than a track level.

Will be fun experimenting, and I'll post if I find out anything useful

Last edited by om (Sep 30, 2012 9:36 pm)

You can automatically separate by instrument in XMPlay. (under Output in the Options menu tick 'Separate MOD instruments' when using the disk writer)  It's not per channel though, so if you spread a chord across 3 channels with the same instrument you'll get the whole chord in the exported track.   You could export once with interpolation and then without and mix and match the two sets together.

Personally I'd say only use XMPlay or FastTracker2 to export XMs, everything else still has a few quirks.  On the Options/MOD page try experiementing with the pan separation, I have mine a bit tighter than the default. 

For .MODs the oldsk00l plug-in for Winamp is good and you can use that with XMPlay as well. (coded by Slammer/Anarchy, remember him?)  XMPlay's default still trips up on a couple of things there, even on the PT setting. I can't remember if the free version of Deliplayer2 can write to disk but that was accurate as well.

Austin, Texas

There's an XM Player Diagnostic Module written by Str0be that you can use to test your preferred playback/export method.

Hopefully this helps you find an export method you can live with. smile

Last edited by Telerophon (Oct 1, 2012 3:24 am)

Holland
Jakim wrote:
xylo wrote:

Long time ago I have rendered many .mod files using ModPlug (1.16, I don't know how about OpenMPT) but people complain about module quality, there was nothing left with classic Amiga sharpness (no resampling/interpolation doesn't really help, it just sounds different). Anyway, maybe such sound is your goal. I find ModPlug sound polishing algorithm weak and muffling. Funny thing because I work with ModPlug and even original FastTracker 2 output seems to be a bit better big_smile.

Haha, I record .mod files from the Amiga if I want to release them as MP3 or WAV so I don't know the sound Modplug produces when doing that.

XM files sound fine to me.

anyone tried awave studio ?

http://www.fmjsoft.com/awfeatures.html

they certainly talk the talk.

Two solutions for you:

1. Try this step by step guide: http://www.faasoft.com/articles/xm-to-mp3.html

From this guide, I learn that:

XM, standing for "extended module", is one of module music file formats. Other module music formats include IT, MOD, S3M, MTM, UMX, MO3, .etc. Module music formats are similar to MIDI format, they contain data about how to play a music, like what instrument to use, what notes to play, and what speed to play. Doesn't like ordinary audio file, music file can only contain music played by instruments. Ordinary audio file like MP3 and WAV, can contain any sound like human voice. The difference betwen module file and MIDI file is MIDI only contains notes, while module file contains wave form of each note also. You can find many module files here: http://www.modarchive.org/.

XM is introduced by Triton's FastTracker 2. XM introduced multisampling-capable instruments with volume and panning envelopes, and basic pattern compression. It also expanded the available effect commands and channels, added 16-bit sample support, and offered an alternative frequency table for portamentos. XM is a common format for many chiptunes.

2. Foobar ( http://www.foobar2000.org/ ) can do this job for you.
The drawbacks of Foobar are mainly reflected in three aspects: doesn't have Mac version, need to install Converter component to convert audio files and no built-in help service.

Hey guys, I am sorry but this is the only thread I find about XM format. Recently I met a related problem. In fact, I want to convert XM to MP3 with this XM converter as you can see "http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/ti … erter.html". It mentions that it is capable of reducing audio size. But I have no idea why, after conversion to mp3, the XM file gets a little bit bigger. I do not have much space in my portable player.

Last edited by FestiveBleak (Aug 25, 2017 6:23 am)

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
FestiveBleak wrote:

Hey guys, I am sorry but this is the only thread I find about XM format. Recently I met a related problem. In fact, I want to convert XM to MP3 with this XM converter as you can see "http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/ti … erter.html". It mentions that it is capable of reducing audio size. But I have no idea why, after conversion to mp3, the XM file gets a little bit bigger. I do not have much space in my portable player.

Module music is generally going to be a decent bit smaller than any modern music format, even a heavily compressed mp3. It's just the nature of how module music works.

France

The best would be to use an android music player which can directly play XM modules.
But, isn't FestiveBleak working for the video convert compagny? The post before edition had nothing to do with XM format but it was pointing to another page on this URL... just saying...