Planet Zaxxon

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem. I have a nintendo that seems to add notes and skip notes in the sample channel at random. This whole time I thought it was the midines getting confused. But I received my powerpak today, and tried some nsfs I made on that same NES and it skips as well. So then I tried another stock nes (just a plain old nintendo i have as a backup), and no skipping with either midines, or powerpak.  So weird, has anyone heard of this happening? The actual soundchip skipping/adding notes in the sample channel.. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

philly

I've never heard of this happening! Would you be able to take some samples? I'd like to hear what that sounds like. smile

Planet Zaxxon

ok I just did this right now in one recording take,  mono out.

http://www.oxygenstarpower.com/music/neskip.mp3

skips happen at:

:03
:06
:16
:23

Planet Zaxxon

some skip on the beat which is funny... but :23 shows how it can just sound bad... and that clip is only a 30 second section.. it keeps doin it through out the whole song... grrrrrrr.

its fine when i record these songs for real, and i record each channel as a separate take... it can handle one channel playing at a time.

☺☺☺

Is it a loose pin on the cart connector? This is similar to when i buy games at thrift stores, the slightest vibration to the console ALMOST crashes it, but only enough to spaz for a second. Cleaning them always does the trick.

or maybe its some kind of voodoo spell that was cast or your nes to add that extra note in the sample channel ;)

Last edited by Emar (Feb 26, 2010 1:18 pm)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

it's a 25+ year old NES console.. wink for grins.. try a friends NES and see what happens.

Planet Zaxxon
low-gain wrote:

it's a 25+ year old NES console.. wink for grins.. try a friends NES and see what happens.

um yea, I did. I tried 3 nintendos. They all work perfect. Only this particular one does it, and it has been doing that since the day I received it.

Geneva, NY

INTERESTING.  I've always blamed MIDINES... I swapped out EVERY component in my MIDI setup, even MIDINES... but not the NES itself!!!!!!  I'm a dummy.

☺☺☺

LOL @ the dotpun-ny XD

Planet Zaxxon
bleo wrote:

INTERESTING.  I've always blamed MIDINES... I swapped out EVERY component in my MIDI setup, even MIDINES... but not the NES itself!!!!!!  I'm a dummy.

yea see! thats what I thought.. I had 2 midines's as well.. and they both did it.. but I never figured to try it out on another nintendo until now....  sad

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

I've fixed 2 NES's of yours, and gave you another to make up for the repeating issues of the first 2.. If you find another nes that you know works 100% feel free to send them both to me and i'll swap out the mods.

Every known working nes i've sent you has come back with an issue. I am trying to figure out how this keeps happening.

You should have emailed me the day you noticed it having issues rather then  months later.

Planet Zaxxon

I just dont have good luck with these things and again I didn't tell you about this, because I thought it was the midines this whole time. Thats all i had at the time,  one midines. And when I record each channel in a separate take, there are no skipping notes. So again I assumed it was the midines that was getting overworked when all the channels are going at once.  I would never think it was the nintendo itself. I never heard of anyone having problems with the nintendo itself that it would cause that to happen.

So now I have a powerpak again, and played back a track (nsf), and it skipped the sample channel also. So yes now I know it is the nintendo, and not anything else. There was just no way for me to know. I'm sorry.

and I emailed you yesterday and am waiting to hear back rather than on chipmusic.org.   I just posted on here, to see if anyone has had this problem before, and any suggestions.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

maybe you're rocking the NES too hard? Is that possible? teehee

Lawrenceville, GA

It could be that a certain revision of the hardware handles how it receives the data differently, and the MIDINES doesn't compensate for this... I don't really know though big_smile  Maybe look at your NES CPU revision and compare to your friends.

rochester, ny

sometimes when the end of a midi note is touching the beginning of the next midi note, and it's the same exact note value, it doesn't strike the second note.

so i shorten every note by a 64th note. thus nothing touches. thus no skips.