Philly

Hey everyone. First time posting here. I'm a relatively new chip musician from Philadelphia who's played open mic at 8static for four months in a row. I write in 1xLSDJ and perform on a modded DMG. Until now I've generally only made covers of video game tunes, and this is my first (almost) finished original. I could use some constructive feedback before I perform tonight, if anybody's interested in critiquing me.

http://www.jcianciulli.com/audio/477425M_almostdone.mp3

The song is called 477425M. It's about the never-ending struggle to pursue a goal that is always just out of reach. It's based on the concept of the original Donkey Kong, because Jumpman never gets the girl in the end, and the game just starts over on a harder setting every 100M. Thus, it contains some Pulse and Wave instruments where I attempted to emulate the original sounds.

Specifically, I was wondering if my song is too crowded or not. I tried filling most of the channels, but I also don't want the song being too busy at times.

Thanks in advance, and enjoy!

Last edited by Shyabeetus (Jan 12, 2013 9:15 am)

Melbourne, Australia

I'm on the same level as you basically, so take my opinion with a grain of salt:
That said, it's pretty rad. I don't find it too crowded. I like the lead melodies. Also the concept behind it is great.
Here's to developing as musicians!

Fargo

It's not too busy.  I think the chord structure and melodies are really fun.  I think it starts to lose a bit of structure when you add the "wubs", for lack of a better term, the second time toward the end.  Great concept too.  Might I suggest beefing up the bass at certain points?  That's just my opinion.  I felt at certain points that I would have liked to hear it built up a bit.  You're pretty good at programming instruments.  I really liked a lot of them that you featured.  For being "relatively new" your programming skills are impressive.

Earth

Yeah I like it. It's good to keep it busy I think. Otherwise it can get monotonous.

Last edited by breakphase (Jan 12, 2013 7:23 pm)

Philly
Krubbz wrote:

For being "relatively new" your programming skills are impressive.

Thanks! By "relatively new" I mean I started using LSDJ in September, but this is my first fully original, non-cover song.

For beefing up the bass, I'll see where I can add more bass. I'm usually not a fan of the wubs, but I thought it might add to the intensity of the song. I could try to alter them a bit towards the end to fit in better.

Otherwise, I'm glad to hear you guys like it. I've gotten into the habit of programming NES/GB sound effects into the pulse channel, but this is the first time I've been able to use them as lead instruments for the song, so I'm pleased with how it turned out. (Also, funfact, one of the wave bass instruments is supposed to be Donkey Kong's laugh from the arcade game.)

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Fargo
Shyabeetus wrote:

By "relatively new" I mean I started using LSDJ in September

Still, impressive.  I can tell you've practiced. 

I can tell what your intent was with the wubs at the end.  It isn't bad.  It's just that the song builds and at that point it'd be really cool to get hit by something powerful.  Unfortunately, "wubs' on Gameboy are pretty weak.  That, and, even in non-chipmusic stuff, that sort of wobble bass is often layered with some sub bass or something else to beef it up.  Now that's hard to do with a gameboy because of being limited to 4 channels.  I can tell you're creative though. smile    You could try adding some bass with an external instrument, or there's always the option of linking 2 gameboys.  Again, though, this is me offering something constructive to something that is good as it is.  Take it as you will, or not at all.  This is great!

I found myself coming back to this to listen again, so you've got me liking this already.  I'd be interested to hear when this is officially complete by your standards.

Philly

Thanks a bunch! I'm not sure if I want to go into 2xLSDJ for a while though. I'll see what other sounds I can make in that last section.