Famitracker doesn't seem to work on my computer, so I've been making NES-style chip music in FL Studio and trying to abide by the limitations as best I can, but I'd like some confirmation that I'm doing it right.

http://soundcloud.com/broken-mug/sets/chip-2

My music's not really meant to be listened to by itself (its meant to loop and has mostly short notes so sound effects don't interfere), so please keep that in mind if you want to offer CC on the music itself.

Thanks!

orange county, CA

You are definitely on the right track. I'm loving the melodies/style. Have you thought about trying any other methods like a gameboy x lsdj, or using an emulator x lsdj? I'd be interested in the sounds/tracks you would come up with.

As for famitracker, maybe look into the threads about famitracker and see if you can find anyone with similiar problems?

Hope you find something out!

I thought about LSDJ, but I don't have a bunch of money as of now. Also, I think the difference between Gameboy's WAV and NES's DPCM is kinda unfair, since I need this to be NES-accurate (I'm not that knowledgeable on the GB, though).

Thanks for the response, though! Glad to know it sounds correct.

'MURICA

You're definitely doing it right.  The only difference (if you're looking for accuracy) is that it sounds like you're using a couple more channels than the NES can actually do at once, but I haven't ever let that stop me.

I'm only working with the five channels it supports (no overlapping notes in the same channel either). Can they not all play at once?

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Pulses and DPCM are fine, but that's a normal triangle wave?, I hear it really different as how it should sound (an almost perfect triangle wave).
And about the noise, it requires lot of work to truly emulate it with FL Studio, because you can't "change the pitch" like FL Studio is doing right there and the typical sound of the NES' noise is very personal.

However, you are closest to the Chipmusic than Fakebit. Congrats.