Rhode Island

hah ya, i used mine for a bit then moved to making everything midi capable. the only part i thought was difficult was taking that protective rubber part off the outside of the metal connector

Have any of you tried one of these babies?
http://apeshit.bigcartel.com/product/ps … g-adapters

I'm thinking of ordering one.

Oh, and also, can you play along with a song you've written? (leaving the channel you're playing on clear of course)

Aaaaand, is it possible to use L commands to slide your notes somehow?

Last edited by Zef (Aug 20, 2011 8:51 pm)

Milwaukee, WI

You could use an instrument with L in its table for slides.

Whoah, that would do it yes, I swear I've tried doing that before, I'm hoping that's new in one of the later builds (which I just updated to) or I must have been on something all this time. Thanks. Can you play along with your song? I'm assuming yes, but it'd be nice to know for sure.

Turku, FIN

Anyone has any idea what i'm doing wrong?

I have this DELL keyboard that i connected to DMG-04 cable.
I used Trash80's tutorial and changed the 5V to right place.

DMG-04 has different color wires than DMG-07, but the keyboards wires are similar as here.

I've tried contacting:
Green-Green
Blue-White
Red-Red
Orange-Yellow

then swapped
Red-Yellow
Orange-Red

Both times keyboard lights wen't up and started flashing.
But no sound. Sequencer is running and i'm in the keyboard mode

Anyone know the precise way of connecting these 2?

Turku, FIN

Anyone? No?

Wire colors aren't consistent in cables. You should use a continuity tester.

If the LEDs light up, you have the 5v right and did the pin swap properly. Ground is easy to determine, then that just leaves the data and clock signals to determine.

Or maybe the pins are marked with silkscreen on the board. G, VCC/V, D, C, etc...You can unscrew it to check, if you haven't tried that already.

Turku, FIN

Thanks sir!
Indeed i have opened it and theres this inside

There's still 3 wires that i don't have any idea how to connect, i guess i just have to try.
Or is there some way i could figure out which is which?

Murcia, Spain

Sorry for bumping this old thread.
I am messing with my DMG-04 cable, trying to do the pin swap. I saw this photo-tutorial:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/trash80/29 … 324137185/

I have the same cables with the same colours on mine, so I guess this is fine, but from what I've noticed, what they're doing there is swap the ground pin to 5v... Souldn't we be moving the Serial Out to the 5v instead? Or am I terribly confused?

Murcia, Spain

Ok, I've broken a pin when trying to swap it, so:

I thought about vcc through USB. Will then the ground on the DMG have to be connected to the ground of the keyboard and the ground of the USB?

Chicago

Here's an old thread that might give some insight to your confusion.
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/6698/ … lp-please/
Here's an old thread that might give some insight to future confusion.
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/7615/ … ch-thread/

DogTag wrote:

Ok, I've broken a pin when trying to swap it, so:

I thought about vcc through USB. Will then the ground on the DMG have to be connected to the ground of the keyboard and the ground of the USB?

Couldn't you just try the pin swap again with the other half of the spliced DMG04 cable rather then bringing a usb in the mix?

Murcia, Spain

Thank you GoingHam. Everything there makes sense, but still hasn't solved my problem.

I ended up doing the USB thing, and the keyboard does switch on, and at first I managed to make LSDJ say "I80" (I guess that the keyboard was somehow synced), but it wasn't working. Then, all of a sudden, it stopped displaying I80 and so I'm stuck.

I checked with my multimeter and with the male PS/2 connector that the connections were fine and so it seems! The only weird thing is that when I probed the "data" and "clock" wires of the keyboard on my oscilloscope, they were both in "high" state, and only went for the logic "down" when pressing keys, but both of them! I thought the clock would have a steady periodic "pulse" or something, and the "data" aperiodic signals when pressing keys... It's all weird.

I do not understand a single thing about the hardware stuff for Chiptune. I wish I knew. I'm a mixing and mastering kind of guy, more about plugins, effects, and the software. I don't know what to do with my DMG I just got today. It has a prosound mod, LSDJ, Play It Loud, and it's clear with a pink backlit screen. I got it off ebay. Hopefully it will do the trick and I'll be able to produce Chiptune a little better now than using Nanoloop and Milkytracker on my ipod, iphone, laptop, and gameboy.

I made the switch to hardware and LSDJ recently. I just don't understand a single hardware thing about soldering or the wires or anything. I feel dumb. :(

Maine
Joshy Skellington wrote:

I do not understand a single thing about the hardware stuff for Chiptune. I wish I knew. I'm a mixing and mastering kind of guy, more about plugins, effects, and the software. I don't know what to do with my DMG I just got today. It has a prosound mod, LSDJ, Play It Loud, and it's clear with a pink backlit screen. I got it off ebay. Hopefully it will do the trick and I'll be able to produce Chiptune a little better now than using Nanoloop and Milkytracker on my ipod, iphone, laptop, and gameboy.

I made the switch to hardware and LSDJ recently. I just don't understand a single hardware thing about soldering or the wires or anything. I feel dumb. sad

its ok i dont know anything either yet i still managed to back light my gameboy (it looks like shit though lol)

UK, Leicester

I skimmed through this and I remember someone mentioning that you can't use unofficial cables. It's kinda a shame I found this out after pin swapping this one and cutting it off. I also read somewhere that the CGB will carry the 5v, and seeing as this DMG/CGB to DMG/CGB could thi cable work? I want to know in case there's any chance of making a cable out of this and the ps/2 adapter I bought, or if I should just solder the ps/2 cable in.

Playboy Man-Baby
Theta_Frost wrote:

You could use an instrument with L in its table for slides.

You can't put L in the tables, and you could in the older versions of LSDJ, but it did nothing.