Trento, Italy

I'd like to have some cc on
http://chipmusic.org/iano/music/mix-and … -cc-please

I like the raw sounds so I did a light mix.
I did a separate mix for each track, recording channels separately, anyway I ended following this scheme:
pu1 (almost kick, toms) eq (low range) and little compression
pu2 (fx and leads) reverb
wav (guitarlikesynth, kick, bass, samples) eq (middle range) + compression (I think I need to do custom mix for evry instrument but I'm lazy at the moment)
noi (drums) nothing here
on the first track I lightly panned pu2 on left and wav on right

I liked the ending result but I'd like to know how it sounds on different soucers so I uploaded it here.

Last edited by iano (Feb 3, 2013 8:49 pm)

Trento, Italy

bump
please tell me if you hear muddiness, if the kick is too strong or weak, if it clips, if you hear hiss...
advice are welcome
brutal critics (if costructive) too

come on guys don't let me feel alone wink

Last edited by iano (Feb 5, 2013 6:26 pm)

Honestly, just level everything within LSDJ and record it all at once out of the DMG and it will sound fine.  I'm sure you read on here that people say it's best to record each channel solo and mix it that way but there is no need when it can be all done in LSDJ.... 

ummm...

I'm not good at giving criticism and since I haven't uploaded any music on here yet (all my uploaded tracks were on 8bc.org and I haven't put them on here yet) I really shouldn't be criticizing.  I think I like what I can almost hear but everything got mashed up during mixing.  Try mixing all of your levels within LSDJ, rerecord the track and don't use effects.  I think it might sound much different.

Last edited by nerdsome (Feb 5, 2013 7:19 pm)

Sounds really weird man. Don't really process anything, most you should do on an LSDJ track is level it all in LSDJ and then record as wav, MAYBE add some slight limiting for teh louds and then some light EQ for moar bass and a teeny bit of top end.

Mixing/mastering really isn't that cool for chip in my opinion. With hi-fi dance stuff it's a bigger deal because there's so many more sounds and crap going on that needs taming, but honestly for chip, just worry about writing the music and making your instruments interesting. That's all there is to "the pro sound" for chip.

Madison, Alabama

What you've done doesn't sound bad, per se, but the panning is a bit odd and things feel a bit disconnected.

Like these guys, I just make it sound good in LSDJ and record it all in as one track.  I EQ it a bit to boost the bass/kick and boost the highs a bit to make the snares and hi-hats sound a bit crisper.  Sometimes I add an tiny amount of reverb (like the wet mix is at -19 db...you can barely tell it's there--this seems to make the kick drum/snare have a little more stereo space.) 

You might want to use a notch filter to get rid of the DMG whine. Victory Road says it's around 9.25k, and a notch filter at that frequency works for me as well.

If I were to record anything separately, it would probably be just to isolate the kick and add some EQ/compression to it individually.

Here are some threads about this topic:

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/7712/ … g-in-lsdj/

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/6730/ … questions/

Hope this helps!

Gosford, Australia

yeah, i've had really good results pulling ~9.25K right out with a really steep notch filter/parametric EQ. eliminates the high-pitched squeal without sacrificing any noticeable treble clarity

it's probably not exactly 9250Hz, but at that end of the spectrum you have a bit of numerical leeway tongue

Trento, Italy

Yes, my first intention was to record all straight from the gbc but then i thought to try some mastering magic and so I did
now i'm playing with the mix and the 9.25K thing works greats. evrything sound more clean!

will upload a new version soon, thank you very much for yours precious advices!