Sweden

Hi guys!

I'm working on a project called "8-bit Run 'n Pun". It's basically an "album in progress" that I want your input on. I'm using famitracker for it, and so far, one song is released, but in "draft" stage, so I'd like your opinions, but be constructive smile Enjoy.

Project 8-bit Run 'n Pun

Gosford, Australia

the cover art is really cool!
the song is a bit of a skeleton still and needs more detailed instrumentation before it can be more than just backing music
it's begging for a solo with big pitchbends and vibrato, like a lap steel guitar.

Last edited by Victory Road (Jul 13, 2012 2:12 am)

LOL! @ related results

Manchester, England

I started out, like most of us bedroom beatmakers, using Fami and even after like 3 years I never did once make a worthwhile tune. It's sounding nice already, but a bridge or a nice alternate chorus or a bit of Steel Panther imitation like VR said would do it nicely.

i reeeally like the track, but there is this one high hatish  noise hit  that should be moved over  imo. makes the beat feel disoriented.  Is it just me?

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]
shitbird wrote:

Is it just me?

No, I hear it too.

Really lovin' this. Sounds perfect for a game imo

NC in the US of America
Auxcide wrote:
shitbird wrote:

Is it just me?

No, I hear it too.

Really lovin' this. Sounds perfect for a game imo

Didn't notice it at first, but...yeah.

Otherwise it's really cool. But, like others said it needs at least one lead solo  to be more than just background music. It's not the kind of video game theme I'd burn to a cd. I'd jam to it on my guitar, though. smile

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jul 13, 2012 4:11 am)

Sweden

Great idea about a solo! I already have it in my head now... smile

Regarding the high hat... do you mean it needs to be toned down or removed or just altered to be less "messy"?

The generic drums I put at first gave the whole thing too much of a Swing feel so I wanted to use something a little less soft to make the whole thing more alive.

My intention for the song is to be fitting into the story more than being suitable background music for a track. So yes, I've had jamming on an acoustic guitar in mind while making it too.

Thank you for your opinions so far smile

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

We mean it's off beat-wise. ( I believe )

NC in the US of America
Auxcide wrote:

We mean it's off beat-wise. ( I believe )

Yes. It's choking up the beat so it can't breathe. As it is, it sounds more like a light pre-fill than a groove. *Edit*: It's like a lonely kid who's trying to make friends by butting in to other people's conversations.

I honestly think it wouldn't hurt to remove it altogether. However, if you really want to keep it in, you could replace the kick drum that comes immediately after it with another hi-hat hit (but only on the first half of the beat, before the snare to retain some of that kicky attitude), and it would sound much better.

So instead of kick-hat-kick-snare-hat-kick | kick-hat-kick-snare-hat-kick

It'd be kick-hat-hat-snare-hat-kick | kick-hat-hat-snare-hat-kick

But, I mean, that's just what I would do. There's other options, I'm sure.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jul 13, 2012 5:37 am)

Sweden

I see what you mean now. The drums are supposed to be helping in defining the rest of the song, not take away the focus from it, which, yes it kinda does... It's difficult to hear for me because I become "blind" or "deaf" or whatever to things like that when I've been focusing on other details, but listening to the song as a whole, It'd probably sound better with the hihat removed. It would give the tune a much more defined identity, and such.

And I'll see what I can do about the solo... as the song is kind of one long "jam" with no clearly defined "background" instruments, I'd have to give a solo a different sound, so I think it'll be fun. Thanks again for your awesome input smile

Sweden

New tune up! Failien Funk Something a little calmer and more swingy this time.

No I haven't forgotten about the drums for Stroll 'n Roll, I'm still working on that and the solo, I just thought I'd get you something new and different for now smile Enjoy.

NC in the US of America

Cool! Nice harmonies. I like this.

Makes me want to do the Mario dance.

Sweden

Yet another tune up. I call this one I'm a Fighter

Sweden

And yet another one. This one, I call "It's not My Ship"

Sweden

New tune!  Shell Shock Shake

This one sounds a bit like something from Mega Man.. I realized that when I was done.