nashvegas

I found the Gerbers, Schematics, and Assembly Instructions for the Pixels Past 4k PCB (originally distributed by Atariage).

I was looking at using BatchPCB to get a board printed for $10-$20 USD, but their system doesn't seem to like the current way the Gerber files are exported. Anyone have any idea how to get them in the format/configuration they are looking for?

As per BatchPCB:
-Export your Gerbers in RS-274X format, with NC Drill format.
-Archive the gerber files in a .zip or .tgz.
-For simplicity, do not include any extraneous images or files. This may result in your upload being rejected, or the design failing the DRC.
-We render images for your gerbers immediately, but the DRC is a bit delayed. The time to check each board varies but is usually about a minute.

Last edited by pxscxl (Apr 3, 2013 5:04 pm)

nashvegas

I also just tried running the longhorn design through... http://longhornengineer.com/projects/pc … -2k4k-pcb/

Does anyone know why it keeps rejecting them?

Just contact Albert directly over at Atariage.  He is a cool cat.  Tell him what you want and he will make it for you cheaper and faster than you trying to do it yourself.  I needed a few socketed proto boards for testing and he took care of it, no sweat.

matt's mind

batchpcb is often not the best deal, by a long shot.  pretty slow too.  they're just using gold phoenix, so you're probably better off getting in touch with them instead and skipping the whole batchpcb bit. 

they can also handle those file types, or will have the software to convert into whatever they need if not.  just contact them directly and avoid their uploader-quote monstrosity

nashvegas

i ran gold phoenix's quick quote and they said it would be $6.25 for a unit and my quantity is set to one, but they are saying my subtotal is $100. What am I doing wrong?

nashvegas

it seems they are forcing me to get 16 pieces at a minimum.

nashvegas

perhaps we can get a group of 16 that would want to go in together on them?

matt's mind

i'd skip the quick quote thing and contact them directly.  they should have the email listed in the contact section for sales/quotes. 

i don't personally like their online quote thing, and they always have a real person contact you after the online thing is submitted anyways with the final quote.  which is usually adjusted somehow.  its like an unneeded extra step,

so, contact them directly.  if you're really wanting just the one...  batchpcb may work ok (then you can get one without meeting the minimum order amount or whatever).  but, ask gold phoenix directly, they have an office in canada too so should be awake and working now so you should get a quote sort of soon....

the cheaper alternative to you just having one made, would be to orchestrate a group buy.  just find out what the minimum order quantity is (it depends on the size of the PCB most times), and find that many people to go in on the order with you.  then you get it for much much cheaper, as does everyone else.  all it takes is someone to head it up and arrange shipping the PCBs out to the rest of the order.  that would be the cheapest way overall.  unless you just etched your own board.

i've wondered for a while why this scene never got on the group buying bandwagon.  it'd make so much sense

matt's mind
pxscxl wrote:

perhaps we can get a group of 16 that would want to go in together on them?

haha, i was typing out this suggestion, and you beat me to it wink

yeah, group buying is great. 

i'd be in for two of them if you do this @ that cost.  plus the shipping naturally on those.

nashvegas

Well then... I'll probably do two as well... anyone else in? We need 12 more.

What about OSH Park? They've got to be the best in low quantities in terms of quality, turn around time, and ease of uploading. They also don't require plating the drill holes and can do internal routing. The boards are even made in the USA.

EDIT: What thickness do the boards have to be? These panelized boards generally only come in .064". It would be awfully convenient if the cartridge's PCB was that thickness, but I have no idea.

Last edited by Apeshit (Apr 3, 2013 8:36 pm)

Medina, Ohio
kitsch wrote:

unless you just etched your own board.

That's a good recommendation, especially since the board only needs to be one sided (As it appears that way to me)

EDIT: I realized it is a two sided design, still pretty simple if you use Fritzing

It will be slightly more expensive at first because you need to buy the copper board, acid, and put in time to make the design. But after you get it right you can crank them out pretty cheap, or even sell them to the community.

Last edited by dsv101 (Apr 3, 2013 9:00 pm)