I skimmed over it, great job, must have taken a lot of work. Props for actually using a screencap rather than just videotaping the screen.

This'll really help people learn, you cover a lot of pretty advanced techniques.

rochester, ny
Zef wrote:

I skimmed over it, great job, must have taken a lot of work. Props for actually using a screencap rather than just videotaping the screen.

This'll really help people learn, you cover a lot of pretty advanced techniques.

Thanks a lot!

I actually refer to you at one point in it by calling one of the instruments "my Zef / Danimal ripoff wav instrument", haha.

.FILTHadelphia

Other than the video being almost an hour long I enjoyed it. The format works really well I like that you have someone there who doesn't know a great deal about LSDJ to ask the right questions for people starting out. Definitely branch out into other trackers though LSDJ is getting saturated with knowledge while other trackers fall to the wayside.

defiantsystems wrote:

Other than the video being almost an hour long I enjoyed it. The format works really well I like that you have someone there who doesn't know a great deal about LSDJ to ask the right questions for people starting out. Definitely branch out into other trackers though LSDJ is getting saturated with knowledge while other trackers fall to the wayside.

Rhode Island
bryface wrote:

i really liked the parts of the discussion that connected the technical know-how with the artist's writing process.  i'm more interested in questions like "why did you decide to write this part in this way instead of in another way?" or "how did your vision/goals for this song inform the musical techniques that you used?"  those are the kinds of questions that really give you an insight into what the artist is about, and can even give the show a broad universal appeal.

this was the best part of the video IMO. There were some interesting things that i picked up but discussing the reasoning for your choices in the song is really what will keep me coming back.

vancouver, canada

on the next episode of EXPLORING CHIP TUNES

西安
nickmaynard wrote:

WHAT KIND OF DAY HAS IT BEEN

West Wing reference? heart heart heart

Melbourne, Australia

Well done, man. Having the other two guys really makes this, as it keeps it more of a discussion rather then you just talking at the viewers. Learned a lot, thank you.

rochester, ny

First of all, epic thanks everyone for the epic feedback, especially bryface and noobstar. I can't respond to everything but I agree wholeheartedly with almost everything you guys said.

n00bstar wrote:

for what it's worth, here's my constructamative criticithing: explore outside the gameboy

I agree that tech diversity would definitely make it a better show but I'm also limited because so few people in Rochester make chip music with anything but LSDJ. A lot of people suggest trying to use skype so if I can get that to work well, then diversity will be a priority. If not, then I might have to stick to what I have around. I can do episodes on Famitracker and VGM MM though.

SketchMan3 wrote:

The only other criticism I can give is that it could be nice to doe some research and add a little pop-up text box for the questions that were left unanswered.

I think this is an AWESOME idea and I'll definitely do it going forward.

bryface wrote:

How long did it take to edit the episode btw?

We shot it in a few hours and then I edited a little chunk of it ( ~10 minutes ) every night for a week.

criticisms of the sound quality

This is a major priority going forward. I thought I could do it myself but I realize now that I should go to someone who knows what they're doing. Hopefully you'll see a dramatic improvement in sound quality with the next episode.

bryface wrote:

at the same time, i also found myself wondering who, ultimately, this show is geared towards.

I think this is a great observation. Initially, I was going to make the video alone. Then I thought it would be better to have a friend there too so the conversation could flow naturally and I'd be less self conscious. Then I thought it would be cool to get a "noob" and someone more experienced so that we could cover a lot of ground. I think you're right that certain parts are boring to the experienced users and other parts go over the heads of the beginners. I kind of like casting a wide net though because the main goal of this is to be useful, not necessarily entertaining. I don't know, I'm actually going to give this question a lot of thought before we make the next one.

criticisms relating to the episode's length

I'm getting some comments saying the episode should be shorter and some saying the length is fine. Personally, I love longer episodes when the show is educational. However, I definitely think there's no point in a longer episode if there's no enough content to fill it. I'll be more aggressive with my editing and more focused in the material I want to cover next time.

ForaBrokenEarth wrote:

My favourite thing about these kids of videos isn't learning new techniques as such, but that you get a little poke into how other people put things together.

2PLAYER wrote:

this was the best part of the video IMO. There were some interesting things that i picked up but discussing the reasoning for your choices in the song is really what will keep me coming back.

A lot of people have said things like this which is really interesting to me since this wasn't my intention at all, haha. In future episodes, I'll be acting more as a host / interviewer, I think, so I can ask a lot of questions that deal with songwriting, motivations, influences, etc.

viciousitaly wrote:

West Wing reference? heart heart heart

YEP. :-)

Tokyo, Japan

I also liked it. I think bry / n00b have good comments. I will add one more.

I kind of like the "rambly" style and I dont mean that in a pejorative way at all. You kinda let the show go at its own pace, explore what you need to and then wind it up. It might be an idea to add some kind of wrap up of salient points or a little summary of 3 useful tips for new users then 3 useful tips for more advanced users.and flash them up on the screen as the final song plays out? something like that?

Might also be handy to name the eposides a little more clearly like

EP1 - overview of an advanced LSDJ house track

Or whatever.

rochester, ny
Lazerbeat wrote:

I also liked it. I think bry / n00b have good comments. I will add one more.

I kind of like the "rambly" style and I dont mean that in a pejorative way at all. You kinda let the show go at its own pace, explore what you need to and then wind it up. It might be an idea to add some kind of wrap up of salient points or a little summary of 3 useful tips for new users then 3 useful tips for more advanced users.and flash them up on the screen as the final song plays out? something like that?

Might also be handy to name the eposides a little more clearly like

EP1 - overview of an advanced LSDJ house track

Or whatever.

Yeah this is a great point. With this episode, I just thought "Let's kind of ramble through it and then I can edit it and we'll see what we get". It was just kind of an experiment, in a way. Now that I see how that worked out, I definitely want to organize it more clearly into sections. With future episodes, I'll be able to "interview" the songwriter and guide the conversation more so I'm going to try and pick out like, the most interesting five sections of the song to discuss in depth and then the rambling will at least have some kind of organization.

And I definitely agree about the episode titles. Bryface mentioned something similar and I think it's a smart idea.

slo

This was really great to watch. Thanks!

Last edited by running.from (Apr 9, 2013 8:12 am)

New Albany Indiana

I really enjoyed listening to this!

Learned cool stuff in the first 15 minutes. S-command in table hasn't been my best friend, and the vol column in the table neither.
Thanks, keep it up

Also: an hour might be really long, but I really liked seeing a whole song! Danimal's gorelax doens't go so in detail about everything, and you even showed unused material. Awesome. Sharing it all over facebook

Last edited by Jotie (Apr 9, 2013 1:53 pm)

Earth
the video wrote:

Anova - The learning machine

Thanks for the reference. Good stuff.

Robotcity, the year 20XX

I really enjoyed watching this. My only concern actually is: how are you going to keep up this quality every month? I assume you're not planning on only doing Nick Maynard songs right? I do not mean that in a negative way - because your last album is great - but I assume you want to mix it up, show how other musicians make music. So you have to find great musicians who are willing to make a show (without falling into the "me-in-my-room-repetitive-voice-screenshot" repertoire . Could be hard actually don't you think?