I've been googling information on clones and every time I think I find an answer, I find conflicting information on a different forum.  So, I've decided to ask here...

I need a SNES (2 actually) to use Super Gameboys on for a project but also still be useable for games.  Then I started thinking about getting a couple of those multi system clones.  The one that seems to have the better reviews is the RetroN 3 (except for it's controllers) but I need to know how compatible it is.  Some people say it isn't compatible with much or has a lot of problems and others say it works perfect with everything.

So, my main question is, does anyone have experience with one?  Are they worth it and will they work with anything I throw at it?  Particularly Super Gameboy but also all other games?

Unsubscribe

I was gonna say that clones are crappy for emulation, but the sgb is basically a gameboy in the cartridge so the super nintendo is not actually doing much so it might actually be a good idea.

Yea, I've read they have problems.  The idea of having 3-in-1 for my attempted project sound cool but I don't want to risk games not working.  Maybe I'll get one and try it out a bunch then if I find no problems, ill go from there. If it sucks, then ill sell it.

.FILTHadelphia

My Super Gameboy works pretty well with the FC Twin. The emulation is pretty awful but it works and sounds decent. I'd suggest modding the Super Gameboy cart for better sound quality.

Yea, pro sounding the super game boy might be wise. The clones sound like they might be a bad investment though.

.FILTHadelphia
nerdsome wrote:

Yea, pro sounding the super game boy might be wise. The clones sound like they might be a bad investment though.

If you want perfect game emulation then yea it's a bad investment but if you're going to be writing songs via Super Gameboy it's not so bad. I generally run the audio into my mixer and to my monitors so sound wise it is good. The clones are a good option if you can't find something and want something cheap but I would go with the real thing.

defiantsystems wrote:
nerdsome wrote:

If you want perfect game emulation then yea it's a bad investment but if you're going to be writing songs via Super Gameboy it's not so bad. I generally run the audio into my mixer and to my monitors so sound wise it is good. The clones are a good option if you can't find something and want something cheap but I would go with the real thing.

I will be writing/playing music on it but I want it available to use for regular games as well.  So now I will just have to sit on eBay and hope i can win a couple SNES's for cheap.