Brooklyn

I want to start getting into making my own Custom 8-bit Pixel Animations and Visualizers!!!!!
Does anybody have any programs,methods, or steps on how to get started

babylon

dont quote me but i think pth and similar viz artist write their stuff in assembly. you might want to start pokin around at nesdev.com  . good luck!

Douglas, Wyoming

Glitchnes is a pretty widely accepted standard

Rachel Weil uses ROM hacking, right? So read up on that.
(edit: she apparently writes in 6502 assembly)

And you can of course create a ROM yourself.
Coding for old systems is a ton of fun, but also quite the challenge and can be very exhausting.
You need to learn a language suitable for what you want to do (ie: C, Assembly)
And you need to learn about the hardware, and the tools to compile for it.

Set aside an hour to google about all this.
You'll get a more clear sense of what you can or cannot do, and what you need to learn in order to do so.

Last edited by _-_- (Mar 26, 2013 7:45 am)

Austin, TX

Oh, hi! Glad to hear that you're interested in making your own NES visuals! Yes, I do write custom software in 6502 assembly. I'll agree that learning the programming language and hardware specifications requires a LOT of patience and persistence. Here are some ideas for getting started with NES visuals:

1. As a way to get started quickly (i.e., without programming), you might like playing with graphical ROM hacking (with YY-CHR, for example). This is an easy way to become familiar with the graphic format of NES games. Check out romhacking.net for more information on ROM hacking.
2. NO CARRIER's glitchnes and NESFlix and blargg's litewall are awesome NES visual programs that require little to no programming experience and are well documented. The great thing about these ROMs is that they're really suited for visuals, and you'll be able to add your own graphics using a program like YY-CHR. I tried out NESFlix recently, and I was able to make a ROM from an animated GIF in under 30 minutes (!).
3. If you're looking to make truly custom visuals and willing to devote some serious time to learning 6502 assembly, I would recommend the NES programming tutorials on the Nintendo Age forums. (In my opinion, NESDev is not the absolute best place for beginners.)

Best of luck to you!

Parts Unkown

A while back I setup a page on my website that will generate an Atari 2600 ROM for some viz.  All you have to do is type in your text.

http://heavyw8bit.com/atari_2600_visual … erator.php