Hi, I'm a newbie as far as making chiptunes and stuff, but I made this pretty neat reggae-influenced track and I need some feedback. I was inspired by the "Rude Boy 8bit" album and other such reggae-styled chiptunes. I guess this would also be considered "fakebit" because I made it using a VST on FL Studio and various FX plugins. Sorry if people don't like fakebit, if so, I understand.
https://soundcloud.com/elektronikz/jah-makin-it-dub
Thanks!

Last edited by Elektronikz (Mar 11, 2013 7:16 pm)

Southport, uk

Oooooo yeah relly feel like im on an 8bit beach, great beat repetative for my tate tongue  do your self a favour, get some old hardware to get the true sounds and i will be their! I dont see much 8bit regge ^_^

NC in the US of America

The song itself is cool. Nice harmonies and good employment of some chiptune techniques like what sounds like single-channel echo. Also, the steel pan arps are a nice touch. Overall, it's way more authentically reggae sounding than I could do.

But it seems like the mix is lacking in the high frequencies. It's kind of muddy, especially the noise percussion. Also, the bass is kind of weak. It's really low and bassy, which is good, but it doesn't have enough higher frequencies, and that's a shame, because the bass is pretty sweet in this tune. It just doesn't stand out enough. I'd start with a typical NES style triangle or sine or something similar, and go from there.

I don't know, though... I don't mind the repetition, but it just seems a bit too long for being so repetitive. It doesn't have that elusive quality that drags you into a repetitive piece and keeps you coming back even though it never changes.
I know how hard it is to delete things to change the length of a piece, so I'd suggest having something unique about each section. Maybe add an extra instrument to act as the "narrator"/vocalist, who will make exclamations and "adlibs" over the track as it goes along.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (May 4, 2013 4:16 am)