VA

Here I am again, craving lgpt midi out on a portable device. I want, no I need, piggy midi out...I just love the idea of having such a small and easy program play samples and midi. I already have portable piggy in the form of a caanoo, so yeah, I want something specifically for midi. I have been thinking of either getting the smallest laptop I can find or getting a RaspPi, though I'll still buy your gp2x off of you wink

I've noticed that midi notes and samples do not play synced in windows piggy. It seems that the samples start just a little too late. What's your solution to this? Is there a way to delay the midi notes just enough?

I would like to know where to begin with the Pi. What OS, and how do I make it recognize a midi interface? Does anyone here use the Pi for piggy midi and care to she'd some light on how you arrived at something that works? Is there latency? herr_prof wink ?

Does anyone here even use lgpt for simultaneous sample and midi? If I can do this I will be living the piggy dream...

Oh, does anyone have experience with the umid mbook? Runs xp...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Korea-UMID-mboo … 25816857f3

Last edited by Cartoon Bomb (Sep 4, 2013 12:59 am)

I actually recently released a pre-configured version of Raspbian for the raspberry pi that includes LGPT. It's in the early stages though, things like mounting USB drives and syncing to MIDI are not yet complete in my release (I hope in future to have time to make a more advanced boot menu that allows this), but if you run the app on the desktop it should be possible to setup, since these are just the limitations of being in the terminal - the LGPT app itself should support midi just fine. It's not too tricky to run LGPT on the raspberry pi actually, you just download the Debian version, extract it to a folder, then plop the Pi exe in the bin folder, chmod it 777, then run that.

Last edited by metropeak (Sep 4, 2013 6:21 pm)

Unsubscribe

With the above, adding a class compliant audio interface and midi device should be plug and play. The Pi os automatically mounts a usb audio interface as primary if its detected, and then you can select the midi in piggy settings as normal. On my setup I added a usb midi keyboard and have the pig autoboot script do a acconnect so the pigs and keyboard midi output are merged on the output. You dont need to do this.

re: windows did you play with the mididelay settings on Windows that lets you delay the midi so its in sync?
http://gorehole.org/lgptWiki/doku.php?i … figuration

Unsubscribe

Of course the pi can look pretty cool in context :

VA

Very cool, herr_prof. I just read through the other thread on midi and there are some awesome ideas there. The mpc like configuration sounds extremely interesting.

About the windows thing, I just forgot to drop by and edit or update with a link to the wiki and a "problem solved" big_smile

Okay, I'm getting into the Pi then. I *almost* committed to one of those teensy Korean pocket "laptops", but the price of the Pi is just right.

@metropeak cool stuff, I'll be sure to follow your work, especially as I familiarize myself with Debian and RaspPi.

Unsubscribe

Well the price of a little netbook and a pi are probably comparable once you add in psu. sdcard, screen, joypadkeyboard, screen, audio interface..

Cartoon Bomb wrote:

I *almost* committed to one of those teensy Korean pocket "laptops", but the price of the Pi is just right.

Kind of curious about these, do you have any links to them?

I'm running the linux pig on an old eepc 701

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid= … ;_from=R40

running a pure-dyne distro. If you want a all-included-but-cheap solution, it's pretty neat.

Also, I've switched lately from Raspbian to archlinux. No major differences except it boots to shell in about 10 seconds with is rather good.

Geneva, NY

Oh snap. I gotta get my telsonic segment moving and get on that, then!

Did you ever use it ? big_smile

Unsubscribe
Mdashdotdashn wrote:

Also, I've switched lately from Raspbian to archlinux. No major differences except it boots to shell in about 10 seconds with is rather good.

Oh nice! Ill move over there asap just to stay close to the pig father.

Geneva, NY
Mdashdotdashn wrote:

Did you ever use it ? big_smile

I shake it here and there. wink I'm gonna try to get autoboot working and then it'll get a LOT more use.

VA
metropeak wrote:
Cartoon Bomb wrote:

I *almost* committed to one of those teensy Korean pocket "laptops", but the price of the Pi is just right.

Kind of curious about these, do you have any links to them?

I can't access any of the sites because I'm at work (there's a very arbitrary filter), but if you look up UMID MBook, you'll see what I'm talking about.

@herr_prof regarding the price of RPi, I already have a lot of this stuff. I'll need a screen and a PSU, but I have found kits that are priced reasonably. None of them have screens though, so I'll have to get creative with it. Choices, choices, but the only thing that matters to me now is results...

Unsubscribe

Its very difficult to read the piggy on smaller LCD screen so beware. I sprung for:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11612

VA

Actually, the MIDI delay doesn't seem to be working. It doesn't matter if I use 1 or 500 for the delay ms value. This is my config:

<CONFIG>
  <AUDIOAPI value='MMSYSTEM' />
  <MIDIDELAY value='1' />
</CONFIG>

I've tried several different builds of LGPT, and several different drivers. MM seems to be the only one that makes MIDI happen first, thus making the MIDIDELAY useful. Anyone know whats up?