Any advice on how to remove a totally stripped phillips screw from inside a gameboy? Two of the screws inside are totally stripped and are stopped me from getting at the lcd. Would needle nose pliers do the job?

Any advice on how to remove a totally stripped phillips screw from inside a gameboy? Two of the screws inside are totally stripped and are stopped me from getting at the lcd. Would needle nose pliers do the job?

Pittsburgh

For stripped screws, I've been told that you can put a rubber band over the tip of a screwdriver to give it more grip on the stripped screw. I've gotten it to work on some big screws in an NES before, good luck with the gameboy's tiny screws...

Taichung, Taiwan

Stripped out philips, use a flat tip screwdriver of comparable size and you should be able to remove the screw easy.

Matthew Joseph Payne

If all that fails, you can file down two opposing sides of the screw head to give you flat surfaces to grip with needle nose pliers (if the pliers themselves can't get enough grip already)

kineticturtle wrote:

If all that fails, you can file down two opposing sides of the screw head to give you flat surfaces to grip with needle nose pliers (if the pliers themselves can't get enough grip already)

I think I'm going to have to go with the pliers, the screws are in awful condition. Where can I find replacement screws for the two I'm going to have to get rid of though?

Boise, ID

I really don't find them necessary, once you get it all reassembled nothing's gonna move there.

Taichung, Taiwan

Use a small flat tip! It should wedge in between the opposing halves of the stripped out screw and you should be able to torque it off.

Well I finally finished my first Gameboy mod. Despite suffering from many mini heart attacks I managed to get it all done fairly easily. I ended up getting the stripped screws out with a pair of needle nose pliers. I'd like to thank everybody that commented and offered advice and guidance throughout this small project of mine. You're a great community!
Anyway, I figured I'd post a quick photo just so you can all see how it turned out. Bear in mind the backlight looks much more vibrant and rich than the photo shows, also, the apparent hotspots along the bottom really aren't that noticeable at all, my photography skills and equipment are to blame!
So here you go:

Hello! I just installed a backlight into my gameboy dmg and now every time I turn on the system there is no sound from the game. The screen and speaker work completely fine but when i try to play music from lsdj no sound comes out.

Can someone please guide me to a solution?