I've been writing on LSDJ for quite a while now and after some near misses with corruption and loss of files I decided its vital I backed up my files.

I currently use a GB USB Smart Card (64M) and would like to know the best ways to back up my files, whether its song by song or preferably the entire memory of the card?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

J3wel

Boise, ID

what's your operating system?

Taichung, Taiwan

It's all personal preference. I usually back up my sav files titled with the date it was saved. Weekly updates when messing around. Daily updates when working on songs seriously.

I back up my files on my desktop, external hdd, usb thumb drive and dropbox.

New Albany Indiana

The best way to back up is on your computer.

If you have windows 7, or any 64bit operating system you will need to tinker with the computer for it to register the cartridge as a driver.

If you have a windowsXP or a 32 bit operating system you shouldn't have any problem backing it up.

New Albany Indiana

I save my .sav's like this:

Documents>bgb>[some name to clarify which sav it is]

ShintarouMusic wrote:

Mac OSX

Ok, when I may have come across wrong but I'd like to know what do I physically need to do?

Can i just plug the cart straight into the computer, do i need to turn on my gameboy and then plug it in? Or do i need extra pieces of equipment?

NC in the US of America

However you connected it to flash the rom on, connect it the same way.

Connect it with the cartridge out of the gameboy and plugged directly into the computer.

Edit: I was going to say "did you try searching the forums?" but it was a bit difficult to skim through the threads on this topic to actually figure out this seemingly intuitive process of connecting a storage device to a computer. I ended up googling "how to flash a gameboy cartridge"

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jan 11, 2014 9:50 pm)

Boise, ID
J3wel wrote:
ShintarouMusic wrote:

Mac OSX

Alright, I use a mac too. this is the tutorial I first used.

http://lacklustre.net/projects/ems-flasher/

Taichung, Taiwan

I have a Mac but use parallels to use Windows XP as a VM.

ShintarouMusic wrote:
J3wel wrote:

Mac OSX

Alright, I use a mac too. this is the tutorial I first used.

http://lacklustre.net/projects/ems-flasher/

Do you have any idea how successful the flasher is? I just don't want to risk the hours I've put in to create all these tracks, on a piece of software that only sometimes works?

Also, opinions on LSDJ manager? Does it work, I seem to be able to run it on my mac (the .jar file) but no idea how to use it?

Boulder, CO
J3wel wrote:

Also, opinions on LSDJ manager? Does it work, I seem to be able to run it on my mac (the .jar file) but no idea how to use it?

Download java for mac. Run the jar. It works great.

Edit: Ah you asked how to use it. You can load a sav and save the songs as individual lsdsng files then throw them into a new sav file and put that back onto a cart using whatever you use to upload sav files to the cart. I do this before every live show.

Last edited by AdamGetsAwesome (Jan 12, 2014 12:50 am)

Boise, ID
J3wel wrote:

Do you have any idea how successful the flasher is? I just don't want to risk the hours I've put in to create all these tracks, on a piece of software that only sometimes works?

It has always worked great for me, so I'd say it's successful tongue just make sure you use "read .sav" and not "write .sav" and your files will be just fine

Last edited by ShintarouMusic (Jan 12, 2014 5:03 am)

AdamGetsAwesome wrote:
J3wel wrote:

Download java for mac. Run the jar. It works great.

Edit: Ah you asked how to use it. You can load a sav and save the songs as individual lsdsng files then throw them into a new sav file and put that back onto a cart using whatever you use to upload sav files to the cart. I do this before every live show.

/

So when I plug it in and open that .jar I presume I need to open the v3 .sav and then save it? To just simply back up all the sav files?

Portsmouth, Uk

This Thread Helps Me ABit. I Have Not Backed Up My Cart At All, I Have Lost 3-4 Songs Thanks To A Power Surge. Pretty Scared I Gonna Lose The Lot At Some Point. I Have Had Written Alot Of My Stuff Into An Old School Textbook. Thanks For The Info Guys x