Tacoma WA
The One Electronic wrote:

The 303 will never actually come back, the closest you're ever going to probably get is a x0xb0x unless Roland can make some sort of deal to use Moog's patented filter which they stole until Moog's patent actually went through (which is my main understanding why they haven't brought back an authentic rebuild despite the demand).

Diode ladder filter vs transistor ladder so not the same at all.  Not sure what you're talking about.

Maybe you're thinking of the arp 2600's filter, they got in trouble with moog for copying the moog filter design and had to start using a different filter.

I'd say the main reason they never brought the 303 back is that it was a huge fucking failure.  As a commercial product it bombed hard.

Arizona
infradead wrote:

I'd say the main reason they never brought the 303 back is that it was a huge fucking failure.  As a commercial product it bombed hard.

You would think they would have taken notice to the 303's use in the early rave genres and re-marketed it between then and now. I'm sure they've been aware of it being an iconic instrument. It's a shame that it's taken this long for them to do it though.

MBR
sandneil wrote:

remember the MC 303 ... lol
and the Jupiter 80
and the SH 201...

This. Roland doesn't exactly have a stellar track record when it comes to this kind of stuff. I wish that they would rerelease the Jupiter 8 for real, like what Korg did for the MS-20. Tbh, I just wish someone would release an affordable polysynth that doesn't suck. IT'S 2014!

Gosford, Australia

re: moog filters in roland devices, i did a little googling and it turns out it was only the roland sh2000 that used moog's cascading filter. the SH3a apparently used something very similar as well. neat!

Tacoma WA

and it looks pretty lame so far. 

elektron's new box is winning by far

meh. Analog worship. I can appreciate cool analog sounds, of course, and i'm aware of why the 808/303 is considered unique, but it kind of leaves me cold. I like flat 90's PCM digital sounds and FM stuff.

Unsubscribe

yea but fm percussion blows /trolls

I concur.but dat bass.