Arizona

Ease of Use

The USB-Boy connects to your computer via a mini-USB cable (the same we use for the EMS USB carts) and to your DMG with a link cable. The device is very easy to use and I was able to get the drivers installed and running with Ableton Live in under 5 minutes. The manual is a single sheet of paper and though it might not sound like much, it provides you with all of the information you need to use the USB-Boy.

Price

I purchased my USB-Boy from Thursday Customs for $80.00 and $7.00 shipping. In comparison to similar products, this is the most affordable Gameboy MIDI device I have ever seen.

Availability

There are two versions of the USB-Boy available. The ones with white cases and white LEDs are available at thursdaycustoms.com and the ones with the black cases and blue LEDs are available at store.kitsch-bent.com. As far as I am aware, both versions had a run of 50 units each. I am not positive if more batches will be made in the future.

Durability

I will admit that I was quite skeptical about the durability of the USB-Boy due to it's small size and open case design. Much to my delight, the unit is well constructed and feels sturdy. Now I'm not recommending that you abuse your USB-Boy but I would imagine that it could handle being dropped and being tossed in a gig bag. I'm personally opting to keep it in a padded pencil case or small plastic box during my travels.

Sound Quality

N/A as the USB-Boy is a MIDI device.

Aestetics/ergonomics

For being as small as it is, the USB-Boy is a sleek little unit. It's simple and to the point. I use it mainly to send clock signals to my DMG from Ableton and the LED's on the USB-Boy blink in time with the music. It's a nice little touch and makes my studio setup (which already has numerous other things that light up and blink) even more fun to look it.

Size

The unit measures 1.75" x 1.1" wide by 0.75" tall...so it's quite tiny. I don't think that anyone would have difficulty adding it to their setup.

Portability

Again, because of its small size, the USB-Boy can fit in your pocket. The unit gets power via the USB cable and does not require any additional power source or wall adapter.

Sustainability

N/A as the USB-Boy is powered via USB

MIDI Clock, DIN Sync, Clock Trigger

It can be used to send and receive MIDI data and clock sync signals to and from a DMG and your favorite music software.

Personal Experiences

I love my USB-Boy. It's very easy to use and is quickly becoming one of my favorite pieces of gear.

Cleveland, OH

Niceeeee smile