Brooklyn, NY, USA

As for what chiptunes is, I think Danimal Cannon said it best: It's an instrumentation.

Oklahoma City, OK
Iron Curtain wrote:

As for what chiptunes is, I think Danimal Cannon said it best: It's an instrumentation.

Pretty much this.

Also jmc, "LSDJ backed guitar rock" sounds like good ole' chiprock. So, rock on smile Diggin' the tunes man.

Boise, ID
Iron Curtain wrote:

I get that this may be an unpopular opinion, but I definitely would call chiptune a genre. I think that the instrumentation itself is a significant piece of what defines a genre. For example, you can't really have "metal" without guitars w/ distortion; you can't really have "rap" without spoken vocals, and so on.
You can mix chiptune with the composition style of pretty much any other genre, but I would still think of that as chiptune.

Last edited by ShintarouMusic (Mar 15, 2014 11:15 pm)

Washington, PA

Chiprock does save a bit of typing. Glad you like it Dboyd.

And what exactly is donkrock?

Last edited by jmc1987 (Mar 18, 2014 4:11 am)

Dublin, Ireland
ShintarouMusic wrote:
Iron Curtain wrote:

I get that this may be an unpopular opinion, but I definitely would call chiptune a genre. I think that the instrumentation itself is a significant piece of what defines a genre. For example, you can't really have "metal" without guitars w/ distortion; you can't really have "rap" without spoken vocals, and so on.
You can mix chiptune with the composition style of pretty much any other genre, but I would still think of that as chiptune.

But those examples don't work in reverse. Even if we accept metal as involving 'guitars w/ distortion' as a defining element, the mere presence of 'guitars w/ distortion' itself, does not inherently produce metal. See: all nearly all rhythm & blues / rock'n'roll descended genres since Rocket 88 in 1951...

An Instrumentation may be a defining element of a genre, but that instrumentation is most certainly not restricted to that genre.

jmc1987 wrote:

Chiprock does save a bit of typing. Glad you like it Dboyd.

Chiprock is good. Gravel?

*walks out in shame*

Last edited by iNFOTOXIN (Mar 18, 2014 4:45 am)

France (au milieu)

''chiprock'' sounds really cool... kind of give the general orientation, but still vague enough to arouse curiosity...

how about "chfptune"

Madriz, Supain
ShintarouMusic wrote:
Iron Curtain wrote:

I could change gameboy for bass synth tommorrow an dmy band would sound pretty much the same.

No.

Boise, ID
SuperBustySamuraiMonkey wrote:

I could change gameboy for bass synth tommorrow an dmy band would sound pretty much the same.

No.

But you're just using it as one individual piece of your band. You're creating something different.

Last edited by ShintarouMusic (Mar 19, 2014 5:24 pm)

Madriz, Supain
ShintarouMusic wrote:
SuperBustySamuraiMonkey wrote:

No.

But you're just using it as one individual piece of your band. You're creating something different.

No, I'm using it as an instrument.

Suicide is a rock band.

Depeche mode is a pop band.

Those kids from uk i think, ¿noisia is the name? make dubstep on guitars and drums and shit.

The Roots are hip hop.

Examples can go on and on, but IMO, chiptune isnt a genre.

Matthew Joseph Payne

I'm with SBSM. I make folk/chamber music with gameboys and banjos and saxophones and violins and stuff. Am I in the same genre as Danimal Cannon and Nullsleep? I don't buy it.

Canada

It's a moOoOOooovement, guys.
Surprised to see this thread still lives.

Last edited by Jansaw (Mar 20, 2014 2:50 am)

Sweden
kineticturtle wrote:

I'm with SBSM. I make folk/chamber music with gameboys and banjos and saxophones and violins and stuff. Am I in the same genre as Danimal Cannon and Nullsleep? I don't buy it.

Maybe not, but do you consider it chiptune? If not, how is your music relevant to a discussion about whether chiptune is a genre or not? If you do, what makes you think of it as chiptune?

Regarding folk music, do you accept that as a genre? I'd argue that folk music, as a genre, is far more disperse than chiptune.

Last edited by boomlinde (Mar 20, 2014 9:02 am)