Today I installed ASM's Density backlight into my new gameboy and the backlight works perfectly however when I attempt to screw the case back together it is difficult as the LCD will not lay flat.

As a result, when I managed to screw the case back together, it caused the case to bend raising the screen cover and plastic into a slight arc which is only noticeable when you run your finger over the case (hence why theres no picture). Its as if its bulging out.

I followed the instructions to the letter removing all transparent films etc but I think its something to do with how the tab in which you solder the wires onto is preventing the LCD from laying flat in its slot. Which is unfortunate as thats the main reason I got it as there was less hassle installing it.

I also did an internal prosound mod however the wires for the do not obstruct any of the circuitry and this does not appear to the causing the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

here's the link to the product.
http://asmretro.com/density-backlight

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 17, 2019 12:27 am)

I will drop an email over in the morning thank you!

Apeshit wrote:

It won't be the tab. We test these things thoroughly and I certainly wouldn't have let the product go on the market if that were the case.

Can you email me some photos of the installation? Gmail @ asmretro.

Often we find LCD pressure is caused by the foam pieces not being removed from the PCB under the LCD, but there's a few other things that could cause it.

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 17, 2019 12:27 am)

Apeshit wrote:

Sounds good, we'll get this figured out. smile

Sorry for the lack of an email today, however I have no solved the problem!

It was a mixture between the custom case being slightly different from an original dmg and the positioning of the backlight.

All human error on my part but thanks for your help anyway!

Boston, MA

WE STILL WANT PICS! I wanna see your mod! post it on instagram if you got one #asmretro and/or #gameboylife

I'm glad your problem got fixed so easily smile Enjoy your backlight!!!

ultramega wrote:

WE STILL WANT PICS! I wanna see your mod! post it on instagram if you got one #asmretro and/or #gameboylife

I'm glad your problem got fixed so easily smile Enjoy your backlight!!!

Will do tomorrow if I can! If not theres a simple pic on the customised gear thread of it all finished smile