NC in the US of America

I'm not a huge fan of ambient droney noise stuff. I like it theoretically, but i can't just sit and listen to it unless it's as background noise for a creative endeavor.

I regularly listen to experimental music with experimental rhythms, harmonies, and melodies, though.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Apr 8, 2014 7:30 pm)

TX

I enjoy drone and noise (a couple of my favorite drones: one by Oval and one by Coil) but don't listen to it that often anymore. More often, I listen to stuff that takes those elements and uses them in the service of a more conventional composition.

I'm way into middle-era (early 2000's) Autechre, too, and some experimental music that isn't electronic, particularly some extreme metal stuff.

But "experimental" is not a very useful label, to me. Isn't all decent music rooted in experimentation of some kind? And doesn't all music stop being an experiment at some point if you decide to work on it and polish it and release it? I dunno; I'm sure this isn't the place for this conversation but I feel like the term is somehow a little insulting to everyone inside AND outside the category.

Playboy Man-Baby

I've been making both breakcore and witch house in lsdj for a few months now.

Ottawa, Ontario

suck ass

vancouver, canada

never experiment, ever.

Brother Android wrote:

But "experimental" is not a very useful label, to me. Isn't all decent music rooted in experimentation of some kind? And doesn't all music stop being an experiment at some point if you decide to work on it and polish it and release it? I dunno; I'm sure this isn't the place for this conversation but I feel like the term is somehow a little insulting to everyone inside AND outside the category.

I totally agree with this. "Experimental" doesn't really indicate anything about the music. I never assume I'm about to hear radio-friendly pop when I see a track labelled as "experimental", but other than that, I never know what to expect. Maybe that's the point.

There are some musicians who feel that experimental music should be just that, an experiment. Like say, Brian Eno's ambient albums where he sets up some tape loops and lets them all playback at different times to see what happens. Music that has a hypothesis and then goes about testing that hypothesis. I like this idea, and would probably say that's what experimental music should really be if we were forced to give it a strict definition.

I personally dig a lot of noise/drone/experimental/avant-garde music, though I don't listen to it for the same reasons I listen to the Beach Boys, say, or chipmusic. It has it's place. I made ONLY noise music for six or seven months back in 2008. I collected far too many guitar pedals during that period of time. I still play around with the genre every now and then, but more in a droney way. I haven't ever tried doing chip-noise but maybe that would be a fun experiment.

drone music sounds like an ass farting bees breakcore sounds like nursery children in a kitchen

detroit

all you cats with sticks up your ass need to soak this up.

Last edited by barbeque (Apr 9, 2014 10:52 pm)

Playboy Man-Baby
token wrote:

drone music sounds like an ass farting bees breakcore sounds like nursery children in a kitchen

#sunnO)))

detroit

also anyone not listening to nurse with wound is fucking up.

France (au milieu)

but don't listen to it that often anymore. More often, I listen to stuff that takes those elements and uses them in the service of a more conventional composition.

well, that the point: fucked up experimental things, in electro, jazz or whatever are usually cool to discover, as a musician i often feel like ''waw, how do they do that, why, where does this come from, I have to try this evening''
it helps to see how far you could actually go.

but listening to this all day, for simple ''listening pleasure''... no way smile