Nomad's Land

Uh-oh, that sounds like there might be a memory leak somewhere. Did you use HT's save function at some point? Also, can you reproduce the error on purpose? If so, what are the exact steps needed?

Last edited by irrlichtproject (Apr 9, 2014 12:08 pm)

Matthew Joseph Payne

I did use HT's save function; it was behaving weirdly actually, for awhile it was stacking new versions into different slots every time I saved, but after I deleted the extras it started keeping the current song in one slot.

I had one other unimportant song saved in slot 1.

I'm trying to reproduce... anything, but for some reason when I tried to reinstall HT it's giving me a syntax error on load... I think I might have a different version of the shell installed, so I'll try to change that later and give it another go.

Nomad's Land

Hm, that is starting to look very much like a memory corruption through buffer overflow in the save function. If this is the case then that's pretty bad news, as it probably won't be easy to fix. I'll look into it soon. But for the moment, I can unfortunately only advice to back up HT on PC regularly when using the internal save function. In any case, thanks kineticturtle for reporting, and again my sincere apologies for this.

As for the "cannot reinstall" problem, you might need to do a full factory reset (take out the AAA batteries and then press the ON key for ~15 secs).

Last edited by irrlichtproject (Apr 10, 2014 10:24 am)

Matthew Joseph Payne

Dude, no need to apologize. This whole project is amazing! Bummed to be a casualty of war, but it's obviously no your fault. Thanks for your help!

Nomad's Land

Tronimal was testing HT on 84+ last night. Eventually it crashed just randomly during editing stuff, so the bug might be even more obscure than I first thought. In any case, for the time being I can only recommend to revert to version 0.22, as that one seems to be stable at least.

Matthew Joseph Payne

oooookay so months and months later I'm re-approaching this

I've done every kind of reset I can come up with (I can't confirm that the "remove batteries and hold down ON button" thing worked but I did it a couple times). I'm getting the same error.
I also reinstalled the OS on my TI 83+.

I've tried both Mirage and Doors, and I've tried both v.22 and v.3 of the tracker. Mirage doesn't see either one, and Doors says:

[x] Error # 514
BASIC Ex ERr: SYN

Any thoughts? sad

Nomad's Land

Hmm, that's highly mysterious. Did you try removing the backup battery as well? If that doesn't help, then I'm pretty sure the problem is unrelated to HT, since otherwise it would be the first program to permanently brick a TI. Perhaps the binfiles are corrupted. Or are you by any chance trying to run the 83p version instead of 8xp?

In any case I'm still completely clueless as to what causes the bug. I'm therefore intending to rewrite HT from scratch. I've done some preliminary work already, but won't get around to really delve into it before January. So please be patient, and once again sorry for the troubles caused.

Matthew Joseph Payne

oooookay so now I feel like I must be doing something stupid. I found my wife's calculator, which has never had any shell or HT installed on it.

I wiped all memory, installed Mirage, installed HT .22.
Mirage couldn't see HT.

Cleared all memory.

Installed Doors, Installed HT .22
Same BASIC error as before...

This is with a clean download of each file, and I'm definitely using HOUSTON.8XP - any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Nomad's Land

Sorry mate, I really don't know what's going on there. I just checked if the file's integrity on the server, it's fine. And you had it working before, right?
Did you use TiLP to transfer it? And what's your ROM version?

New Jersey

Hot damn. I have two TI-84s, this should be fun.

Matthew Joseph Payne

irrlichtproject, so you asked me if I used tilp to install it. Now I'm not sure.

This last time I definitely used TI Device Explorer, which I'm realizing now is not what I'm supposed to do. I can't recall what I used the first time I installed it, but now I'm finding the process of compiling tilp to be completely daunting. I'm on OSX 10.9.4 and am just completely lost.

I'm guessing that using TIDE is what's screwing up these installs? Any suggestions on getting tilp up and running?

Dallas, Texas

I'd highly recommend getting a 32-bit version of Win XP or Win2000 running in a virtual machine. It's way less of a headache. I have all the tilp/gtk setup files and a pre installed backup image of houston you can try out. Forgive me if I'm not allowed to distribute these in such a way. If so I'll gladly remove. I just have no idea what the rules are.

GET IT HERE

Maybe if installing houston and crash from scratch doesn't work with TI Connect, You can attempt just using the pre installed backup file named "Houston Backup.82b"

Last edited by TylerBarnes (Sep 13, 2014 6:51 am)

Matthew Joseph Payne

Thank you! I have a tiny netbook with XP on it, I'll try it there.

Nomad's Land

It's ultimately my fault. The on-calc filename of HT contains a backslash (introduced by the obsolete tool chain I was using at the time), which TI Connect can't handle. It's fixed in the latest version, but as you know that one has other issues. In theory one could replace the backslash with a hex editor, but that screws up the file checksum iirc. Unfortunately I can't really build version 0.2 anymore since my old build system is broken, and it would be quite a hassle to port it over to the one I'm using now.

Matthew Joseph Payne

Well that makes sense at least! Most likely I installed .3 with TI Connect which worked fine then tanked my music, and now I just can't get going because ¿tilp?. Okay.

Here's a question - if I installed .3 and never used the save function, would I be safe, but only able to write one song? Or would the memory leak persist?

Dallas, Texas

I had some strange stuff happen using the save function as well. I just stopped using it and work on one song at a time per backup image. I would load a save and large sectors of the song would be shifted or missing. I think this was on rev2 a while ago. It also didn't happen often.

Did you ever get the backup I sent you working through TI Connect? I could grab the latest build and make a pre installed .82b for that if you desire. Granted it's only a temporary bandaid since you are having issues with tilp and/or TI connect.