Arizona

I'm having a bit of an issue. I can set the bpm on my  dmg down to 40 but on my gba and gbc it will only go down to 80. I've tried with two carts and two versions of lsdj (4.7.0 and 4.7.3). If I sync the dmg with the gba/gbc and have the dmg set as master I can lower the bpm to 40 and the gba plays at that speed. I'm just wondering if I can set bpm to 40 on a gba without having to sync gameboys. I tried searching and couldn't find any info on this.

Unsubscribe

Thats intentional. It can go lower on a real DMG, but not on a GBA or GBC, and reflects differences in the hardware.

hiding under your bed

Not sure why you're having issues with tempo, but as an alternative workaround you can change the groove of your song to slow it down more.

Arizona
herr_prof wrote:

Thats intentional. It can go lower on a real DMG, but not on a GBA or GBC, and reflects differences in the hardware.

weird, thanks for the info

France (au milieu)

WHO makes 40bpm music ??? oO

lowest i've ever used is 170... and I felt ashamed smile

Sweeeeeeden

Set it to 80 BPM and change the default 6/6 groove to C/C for the same effect. Or in general, double every digit in the grooves you are using. Tables will still run twice as fast (80 BPM) which you can solve by creating a new groove that you set to 2/2, and then activate by using the G command on the first row of the table. For example, if you use groove 1 as your "2/2" groove, put a G01 command in the table.

This will make the song work the same on both DMG and GBC.

seattle
Sesska wrote:

i wrote a song at 60 once, it was a noise/drone track. it turned out alright

IL, US
seatrash wrote:
Sesska wrote:

i wrote a song at 60 once, it was a noise/drone track. it turned out alright

I've gone below 10bpm before, but that was part of an old nanoloop jam session with albino ghost monkey and calbee/dmg-01, but i also made a whole album of sub 40bpm stuff about a decade ago that I'm suddenly realizing is one of those albums I forgot to ever release ..
You can make fast sounding tracks at lower bpms and slow songs at high bpms

Arizona

I was just experimenting with bpm, groove and other stuff. I don't know if I would ever go down as low as 40 bpm but going sub 80 could be useful. I still don't understand how going below 80 bpm is a hardware limitation of the gbc/gba.

Super cool experiment time:
I synced a gba in slave mode with a dmg that has a variable clock. I got the gba down to about 15-20 bpm (controlling the variable clock on the dmg) before it would lose sync and go into WAIT mode again. Controlling the BPM from another gb also doesn't change the pitch which is cool. So, I suppose I could use a gb as a bpm control unit. It could be useful but I'm sure doing this stuff through an arduino would be more efficient.

IL, US
MostlyToast wrote:

I was just experimenting with bpm, groove and other stuff. I don't know if I would ever go down as low as 40 bpm but going sub 80 could be useful. I still don't understand how going below 80 bpm is a hardware limitation of the gbc/gba.

it's because gbc mode software runs the CPU at 8mHz instead of 4mHz like a DMG, if i remember correctly... gba reads the rom as gbc, so you get the same results on gba as in a gbc... if the rom were forced to run at 4mHz like a dmg, you could hit 40bpm, though most people would rather have the extra power and use workarounds like the clever one nitro posted so they can still go nuts with tables and not make their game boy crash in the process

edit: looks like you can hit 40bpm on a game boy light, too....some tech info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison … ance_lines

Last edited by e.s.c. (Apr 17, 2014 4:42 am)

France (au milieu)

You can make fast sounding tracks at lower bpms and slow songs at high bpms

yepyepyep... I was just joking, nevermind wink