France

Hi! We're PAULA POWERED a digital/British/French trio powered by PAULA.

Digital - coz our beloved A12 (Amiga 1200) gives us our chip tune sound;
British - coz our singer Sally Ann was born & bred in East London;
French - coz we're in France & Sylvain de St Pierre does our programming (Octamed Soundstudio) & the guitar parts ....

Check out our "live at home" video and let us know what you think.

http://youtu.be/fhKL1rk2A64

You like? Come join us on FB / Twitter and at http://www.paulapowered.com/

This is our first post on CHIPMUSIC.org and we look forward to hearing from you!  Good to know that there are other like-minded souls out there!

Laters, our future mates!

S&S

NC in the US of America

Nice vocalist. I like the "bubbly blips" effect she does on her voice @ 2:00 big_smile Dunno if it was intended to that way, but that's how I heard it, lol.

Lyrics, programming, and "chip sounds" are a bit too simple to me, and guitar is really honkin'... but... It's cool to see this kind of act going. Love the singer. I enjoyed it.
keepbitup

Edit: lyrics remind me of that episode of Might Morphin' Power Rangers with the band singing that "Confusion" song and hypnotizing everyone.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Apr 17, 2014 2:57 pm)

France

Hi SketchMan3,

Sally Ann here!  Firstly, thanks for the compliments, I blushed a wonderful shade of red when reading your comments!

It's interesting that you use the word "simple" as simplicity is our key philosophy behind PAULA POWERED: Simple melodies, simple equipment, simple lyrics.  In other words punk!

We use OSS on our Amiga 1200 and decided to use PAULA in her true essence i.e. restrict compositions to 4 channels.  Believe it or not staying "simple" has been the real challenge in this project.

The "bubbly blips" (do like that description ... mind if I pinch it???) at 2mins are all my own!  Not quite sure where they came from, but hey, seems like it works!  Again, keeping on the "simple" trip, my voice is recorded with an SM58 and only very minimal effects are added at the editing stage (distortion - to make the voice sound like it's been recorded with a really bad sound system).

One of the reasons behind our concept is so that we can transfer our songs from studio to stage without too much fussing.

Go to our site www.paulapowered.com and under the "music" tab you'll hear another song.

Thanx for your support and watch this space!!

Bitest,

Sally Ann

NC in the US of America

Sure you can use "bubbly blips" to your heart's content, lol. It stood out to me because it reminded me of a duty-cycle/arpeggio trick that I hear in NES and Gameboy chipmusic a lot smile

And yeah, you can do A LOT with just 4 channels, so I know it can be a challenge to keep it basic and not fill the mix with tons of flourish, wink

I'll be sure to check out your other music.

Colorado Springs

Weird yet cool. smile I look forward to seeing what you all create!

France
SketchMan3 wrote:

Sure you can use "bubbly blips" to your heart's content, lol. It stood out to me because it reminded me of a duty-cycle/arpeggio trick that I hear in NES and Gameboy chipmusic a lot smile

Shucks ... you've guessed where I nicked it from!!!! smile

France
Ash C. wrote:

Weird yet cool. smile

I can go with "weird" ... especially as the title "Hazy Crazy" doesn't really inspire a "normal" vibe! smile

California, United States

The track you posted here didn't really impress me that much. it feels you guys are comfortable in your sound and I really respect that! It fit well together.
Your other track,  the one you posted on SoundCloud, was the one I really enjoyed. Very nice start I would say, keep it up :^]

Brunswick, GA USA

Definitely got the punk part right.

I like this. I feel like it could be a little faster and chaotic, but I guess if you're going for that steady punk sound you've got it right. I think chip and noise rock could definitely go well together, especially on amiga. choppy octamed breaks and some weird dissonant guitar probably sounds great.

i'm also a big sucker for offsets. my jazzmaster's a bit of a cheapo shitter, but i'm hopin to fix it up a bit come summer. i'm diggin that creamy off-white jaguar hehe.

NC in the US of America
Doxic wrote:

The track you posted here didn't really impress me that much. it feels you guys are comfortable in your sound and I really respect that! It fit well together.
Your other track,  the one you posted on SoundCloud, was the one I really enjoyed. Very nice start I would say, keep it up :^]

+1

Finally got around to checking out your other song. Yes. Yes.

Yes. Big <3s. I have been waiting for someone like you all to come around.

heart

I'm looking forward to more.

France
Doxic wrote:

Cheers Doxic ...more tunes to come ... watch this space! wink

France
chunter wrote:

Definitely got the punk part right.

Cool!

France
arlen wrote:

... a little faster and chaotic ... i'm diggin that creamy off-white jaguar hehe.

The Jag has been with Sylvain for a very longtime ... they are incredibly close!

Re faster .... You've got to remember that I have to be able to sing it live!!  Hazy is already at 180BPM ... Any faster and you'd be scrapping me off the floor!! 

However, we're open to the idea of remixes ...

France
SketchMan3 wrote:

I have been waiting for someone like you all to come around.

Your wait is over ... we're here and we ain't gonna let you down!!

The Rubber Man

Hmm, interesting news.
I will check out the music when I'm back home but it's nice to know there are more Amiga freakz out there.
I use Octamed Pro 4.0 myself (yeeeeeeah, still have to publish the rave album pulled out of my monstrous Amiga 500 / 132Mb RAM / 20Mhz CPU, haha), so I will listen to the songs with interest.

Also, it's good to know a singing girl interested in lo-fi music - maybe one day I could ask You for some vocals too, hahahha. wink

Greetzzzzzzz,
Y