Rayek wrote:
AWESOMECAT wrote:

It might make more sense to just release the ROM and use it with a flash cart, as it'd give one access to the save files, which would make what I described above much easier. Though maybe Kitsch, or whoever is developing the everdrive carts would want to know where to get such shells.

I'd be a fan of either, TBH. I'd somehow think that access to any MIDI implementation would make sense with a special cart, but updates to the software might be harder to achieve (?). Maybe building in MIDI connection through something like the GENMDM (accessing/using the 2nd controller port for MIDI) would work for that. What turns me off to GENMDM though is that I don't want to have a computer on stage and would much rather just sync everything with standard DIN MIDI cables.

Either way, if this gets released I'm ready to buy it wink

If there were to be GENMDM capabilities within this tracker, I believe that they'd have to be software based, as GENMDM is a cartridge in itself, so its capabilities are only possible when the hardware/software(mainly) is available through the cartridge slot. It's a possibility that little-scale could provide the source for GENMDM, which could be meshed with this tracker to provide controller port 2 MIDI capabilities.

killadelphia
katsumbhong wrote:

this would be great for visuals but maxconsole.com said the sound is messed up - no deal.

animalstyle wrote:
katsumbhong wrote:

this would be great for visuals but maxconsole.com said the sound is messed up - no deal.

Not to make anyone's pants any tighter...

http://rosecoloredgaming.wordpress.com/ … t-nomad-x/....

Milwaukee, WI
Rayek wrote:
animalstyle wrote:

Not to make anyone's pants any tighter...

http://rosecoloredgaming.wordpress.com/ … t-nomad-x/....

Very nice!  Fortunately, the screen replacement mod isn't too difficult.  I would be interested in how he achieved the internal battery though!

P.S.  Someone please make a surface mount CCAM board so I can pop them in my Nomads!

Theta_Frost wrote:

P.S.  Someone please make a surface mount CCAM board so I can pop them in my Nomads!

I think the board these guys are using is what you're looking for, although I'm having a tough time finding the actual PCB or a parts list. As soon as I can afford a Nomad, I'll be wanting to jam one of these in mine, too.

Milwaukee, WI
Rayek wrote:
Theta_Frost wrote:

I think the board these guys are using is what you're looking for, although I'm having a tough time finding the actual PCB or a parts list. As soon as I can afford a Nomad, I'll be wanting to jam one of these in mine, too.

Woah, woah!  Thanks for that link.  It's exactly what I've been looking for!  Hoping it's small enough.  Anyways, I ordered one.  I'll report back on my success or failure...

http://retrotimegames.com/ccam.html

animalstyle wrote:
katsumbhong wrote:

Yep sound is messed up on the AtGames SEGA Genesis clones - the PSG is 5 semitones to low or something like that. I have one and it sounds horrible.

The Sega Genesis Retrogen shown here has a cart slot, I've never played on or owned one though so I don't know if it's any good.

One thing I should mention about that CCAM is that it says it cuts the headphone out on the Genesis 1, might not be worth doing if it does this on the Nomad as well.

Hello! I'm wondering if the project is still alive? Would be pitty to know that it is abandoned because the idea is so awesome...

Milwaukee, WI
metropeak wrote:

I have been working with Mike Stamper since February, the guy who wrote VGMPLAY, to co-ordinate an improved native VGM player - it will feature playback controls and a Chaotix soundtest style piano view as the song plays.

He has been trying to move the VGM player coding from the 68K processor to the Z80 chip to free up up the 68K for more playback and graphical enhancements.  Problem is the Z80 is not fun to program for, so it has been taking a while for him to do. It's not a fully fledged tracker but will still have a number of usability improvements as well as graphical. I suggested the following to him:

Track Controls: Play/Pause/Resume, and "trigger keys" - a certain controller button or combo triggers instant playback of a specific track.
Snap-to-Bar A-B Loop: If it can detect the start of each bar, a way of doing an A-B loop between bars would be great for live performance and improvisation.
Transpose: being able to transpose the VGM up or down.
Flexible Playlist: in-ROM playlist sequence setup (with option to wait for trigger on track-end, or continue automatically)

Suggested here:
Mute/Solo Channels - Thanks herr_prof
Tempo Adjustment - Thanks Theta_Frost

How many of these features will appear in the final version remains to be seen but he has shown interest in all of them. Please post if you're interested in seeing this happen, since Mike needs to know there is support out there for him to be motivated enough to get this complete.

Yo, is there any updates on this?  This is AMAZING and would be the icing on the sega based setup I'm working on.

killadelphia
metropeak wrote:

I have been working with Mike Stamper since February, the guy who wrote VGMPLAY, to co-ordinate an improved native VGM player - it will feature playback controls and a Chaotix soundtest style piano view as the song plays.

He has been trying to move the VGM player coding from the 68K processor to the Z80 chip to free up up the 68K for more playback and graphical enhancements.  Problem is the Z80 is not fun to program for, so it has been taking a while for him to do. It's not a fully fledged tracker but will still have a number of usability improvements as well as graphical. I suggested the following to him:

Track Controls: Play/Pause/Resume, and "trigger keys" - a certain controller button or combo triggers instant playback of a specific track.
Snap-to-Bar A-B Loop: If it can detect the start of each bar, a way of doing an A-B loop between bars would be great for live performance and improvisation.
Transpose: being able to transpose the VGM up or down.
Flexible Playlist: in-ROM playlist sequence setup (with option to wait for trigger on track-end, or continue automatically)

Suggested here:
Mute/Solo Channels - Thanks herr_prof
Tempo Adjustment - Thanks Theta_Frost

How many of these features will appear in the final version remains to be seen but he has shown interest in all of them. Please post if you're interested in seeing this happen, since Mike needs to know there is support out there for him to be motivated enough to get this complete.

That is REALLY nice looking.  z80 asm is a lot harder than 68k for sure.

New York, New York
Rayek wrote:

One thing I should mention about that CCAM is that it says it cuts the headphone out on the Genesis 1, might not be worth doing if it does this on the Nomad as well.

I've thought about getting a Genesis Model 2, but since the Sega Nomad has an A/V out wouldn't CCAM still work for Sega Nomad sound?

USA

Can we get one on the Saturn? I reeeeeally want to use the Saturn sound chip. PCM and FM. Ultimate arcade music machine right there.

Dublin, Ireland

To continue off topic for a bit:

Would it be possible have different loops for different channels of a .vgm? multiple vgms?
Cue: idle dreams of an ableton esq vgm clip launcher... with MIDI control...
I haven't a clue what I'm talking about though.

Michigan

Is this project still active?

EDIT:

Is the program using serial RAM or parallel, battery backed SRAM?
How large a ROM are you shooting for?
etc. tongue

Last edited by Jazzmarazz (Mar 6, 2014 4:38 pm)

im floating the suggestion of putting an opl chip or two on the address space of the cartridge.

Last edited by mikek (May 8, 2014 10:17 pm)