I'm jumping back into composition with a vengeance.  I recently acquired an iPad and I'm looking for the best value in audio interface available for it.  As I understand it, it seems almost any USB interface works these days.  I'd love some help making a purchase.

Ideally I would like something that would allow me to mic multiple people and have each input recorded to a separate track.  I have no idea if that is even in the scope of reality for this 2 pound studio, but it would be really excellent.  Four inputs is sufficient, XLR is not necessary (but is preferable), and I would really love one with a USB port if at all possible (put my shiny new USB Boy to work).

Is any of this realistic? Does anyone have some firsthand experience with iOS devices and USB interfaces?

Italy

As far as I know only USV interfaces that are class compliant will work with the iPad, plus some rare ones that have software designed to be used with the interface. Most high end interfaces just won't work, anything you have to install a driver for won't work.
Most iOS compatible interfaces I know only have a stereo in and a stereo output... there's the Apogee Quartet and the Alesis IO Mix that offer multi-channel in and out, never tried those though.
I have an Alesis IO Dock. It's made of cheap and flimsy plastic, it feels pretty bad, but does the job. It has some serious issues with certain apps (like you can't record on Beatmaker2 because it will all sound glitchy)... but well I just need it for other things.

The main question is: why use an iPad? is it really a more convenient way to record and edit audio? Is it really worth the hassle? You'll have to mess with it quite a lot, be warned. I've tried it and gave up on it. A macbook pro with a decent audio interface will be immensely more powerful, easier to use (despite everything you might think) and give you less compatibility headaches.

And cost thousands of dollars more.  iOS 7 has ASIO support.  I'm not looking for a high end device, only a basic midrange device to suit my mobile, budgeted needs.  I know interfaces exist with these features and I know there are interfaces people have not yet tried that will work perfectly.

Also, I will need an interface so I can play with Amplitude anyways.  Might as well have one that pulls double (or triple) duty.

Last edited by Beware (Feb 25, 2014 11:25 pm)

Unsubscribe

Here is a good list of what will work with the CCK:

http://www.auriaapp.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces

That was extremely helpful.  The Focusrites seem like a good balance of features and price.  A little higher priced than I was hoping, but I can probably find a used one at a nice discount.  Discreet enough to throw in my bag, but almost all the bells and whistles I could ask for.

Unsubscribe

The preamps have lots of gain and almost no color, I have a saffire 40 and its really nice.

The 18i8 has everything I wanted other than the USB port.  I can live with that.  I'll save up for it and try to get my Edirol working until then.

Unsubscribe

Which eiderol? Seems like a bunch of them work with the camera connection kit already.

UA-20.  I am pretty confident it will work, but I'm going to need to upgrade it eventually.  I'd like the 4 mic inputs for recording the a Capella choir I'm directing.  I was also having a lot of issues with signal noise.

The Akai EIE might be nice too.  It's a little cheaper, but still has 4 XLR.

Last edited by Beware (Feb 26, 2014 12:45 am)

I've been using the Griffin Connectstudio with Lightning for a few months now, bought it because it was one of the only interfaces I could find that was a direct to lightning interface instead of having to go through a camera connection kit (which in the end I don't think is a big deal, it's just that my instinct is to go through as few pieces of hardware as possible).  I'm primarily recording through Cubasis (and Cubase on my computer) so that's mainly how I've tested it out.  It's an okay interface for the price, I think you can find them for about $70 now, but I'm looking to upgrade to the Steinberg UR44 some time soon.  Curious to know what you get!

Last edited by Claudius t Ansuulim (May 9, 2014 2:27 pm)

Oh yeah, I tried the Edirol to no avail.  I also overspent on my PC, so I have to put off getting a new interface.