Brighton, England

Have enough to finally mod my DMG, but first step is giving it a nice new colour scheme. I'd like it orange with a gloss finish, but I have no idea which paint to use. I see so many on all the different DIY stores I go on, I don't know if I need to apply something before painting, etc. Is there any special paint I need for this sort of thing or can I just pick up a can of, for example, this stuff and it'll work fine?

Sorry, hope this isn't the wrong place to post but I can't think of a better community to ask!

Cleveland, OH

Rust-o-leum 2x coverage. It chemically bonds to plastic after a week. I've had my dark grey painted DMG for about 2 years and there's barely a scratch on it. Even when I dropped it onto asphalt it only dented it. Didn't chip off.

Brighton, England
thursdaycustoms wrote:

Rust-o-leum 2x coverage. It chemically bonds to plastic after a week. I've had my dark grey painted DMG for about 2 years and there's barely a scratch on it. Even when I dropped it onto asphalt it only dented it. Didn't chip off.

Looks good, thanks! Just trying to find if it's available in the UK now (doesn't appear to be). If it isn't, is there any alternative you'd recommend?

Cleveland, OH

None that I would recommend. Nothing else seemed to work in the same way. Maybe buy up some cheap broken Game Boys and try out different paints.

If you can't find an alternative, replacement shell cases would do the job. They're not too expensive either.

Brighton, England

Thanks for the help! I couldn't find the rustoleum paint in the UK, so I settled for the Montana Gold paint as recommended in this guide. It's a really nice finish - matte but with a slight shine, and it's applied very nicely. Only thing I've noticed is it's a tad sticky, but I think that's just me being an amateur painter and not letting it dry long enough.

Alligatronica wrote:

If you can't find an alternative, replacement shell cases would do the job. They're not too expensive either.

I'd love to do a clear white case paintjob in the future, similar to the amazing job thretris did with this one.

Cleveland, OH

Use 2-3 coats of a matte clear coat over any paint you use.

Brighton, England
thursdaycustoms wrote:

Use 2-3 coats of a matte clear coat over any paint you use.

So, something like this?

I used Tamiya paint one the last one i painted. Just tried scratching it off, it comes off but not easily (didn't coat it), it has a good feel and the one i used (TS-8 Italian red) still shows the text.