Hydrogen is awesome for programming chip drums, given you have chip drum samples.
you can import samples by dragging and dropping, I believe.
My band's old computer ran xubuntu and it allowed drag and drop, depends on the flavor of linux.
Anforium, what stigma does lmms have about it?
all i've heard anyone say is that it's a knock off of FL studio and has a slightly shittier performance.
I do notice some latency issues with LMMS right out of the box, but you can noodle around with parts of it to get it to sound good.
(Almost) Anything you need ran on linux, it's not a problem, It will run, you just might have to do some google-ing.

Riverside, CA

Protrekkr and Bitwig Studio have been my favorites recently.

I just tend to see LMMS get trashed on music production websites, although the recent 1.0 release is quite good

West Yorks, UK

Im planning on getting into linux. For one my girlfriends laptop is so sluggish with Windows 7 installed and all the bloat; so were looking for a nice begginer friendly distro that will breathe new life into it. (its like 2gb ram and 2.0 ghz processor)

Ive heard Ubuntu and Debian thrown around alot, and given the music software availible il probably go for Ubuntu or some derivative of it.

Can anyone speak about Mint linux? If theres any point going for that over plain Ubuntu? Ive heard its more geared towards begginers.
Or any other suggestions on suitable distros for such a computer; to be used primarily for the web. Music software is not a prerequisite, really. (At least not for her laptop)

All insight greatly appreciated here; ive spent many many years being a geek, but never bothered to look into linux before.

Nomad's Land

The number 1 reason for me not to use lmms is that it requires wine to be installed, and I like to keep my system free from that stuff. Also, stability has been a major issue in the past, don't know how much that has improved with 1.0.

If you're looking for a decent DAW on Linux, try Buzztraxs (known as buzztard in debian repos).

Anybody need a professional audio analysis tool? Check out Sonic Visualiser.

Also +1 for Hydrogen.

As for the choice of distro, I prefer a fast system without unnecessary bling, so I have been using Debian + lxde for the past years. However I'm in the process of switching to the xfce desktop as the lxde team is slow with their development and usually take much too long to fix bugs.

@Domu, Lubuntu or Xubuntu should be perfect for your machine, I have better specs than you just posted (only slightly better) and lubuntu is FLYING whereas all windows OS's didn't make the cut.
~5 minutes to load google.com

@irrlichtproject, if you have synaptic package manager, lmms installs fully through it.
lmms has ALWAYS been native to linux, you just have to compile it.

distrowatch.com is an awesome site if you do want to test out new linux OS's.

Last edited by NimbleF0x (May 28, 2014 2:04 pm)

Anforium wrote:

I just tend to see LMMS get trashed on music production websites, although the recent 1.0 release is quite good

It's amazing, especially the sleek look of the ''Metallic'' GUI.
not sure about latency, haven't dwelled much in lmms, just booted up lubuntu yesterday.
Haven't got the chance to tinker.
and they bash it because it's open source and they have to find their own samples to use wink

Nomad's Land
NimbleF0x wrote:

@irrlichtproject, if you have synaptic package manager, lmms installs fully through it.
lmms has ALWAYS been native to lmms, you just have to compile it.

lmms has ALWAYS used wine, you just need to check your facts:
https://packages.debian.org/sid/lmms

Last edited by irrlichtproject (May 28, 2014 2:02 pm)

irrlichtproject wrote:
NimbleF0x wrote:

I simply fished through the site,
and if you're right, then you're right.
it's not a huge deal to me honestly. I just figured it compiled natively being that it's LINUX multimedia studio.
I don't design the software I use, I just use it.

West Yorks, UK

nimblefox; cheers fella! il give them both a try alongside maybe mint and ubuntu studio.

++++ seq24 is a nice little linux sequencer that reminds me much of atari st Cubase, mixed with abletons clip mode.
ive been using it on windows to control an emu 5k ultra sampler, and its been causing much joy for everyone involved tongue

Last edited by Domu (May 28, 2014 7:22 pm)

Riverside, CA
irrlichtproject wrote:
NimbleF0x wrote:

https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/wiki/Compiling-lmms

Wine is only an optional dependency (probably only used for VST support is my guess), so you should be able to compile it without it.

@Domu I often suggest/install Linux Mint Debian Edition for others. The Cinnamon/Mate desktop environment that Mint has is great for those coming from Windows. I suggest the Debian edition because it is a rolling release distro.

Last edited by The Silph Scope (May 29, 2014 12:39 am)

Detroit, MI
Domu wrote:

Im planning on getting into linux. For one my girlfriends laptop is so sluggish with Windows 7 installed and all the bloat; so were looking for a nice begginer friendly distro that will breathe new life into it. (its like 2gb ram and 2.0 ghz processor)

Ive heard Ubuntu and Debian thrown around alot, and given the music software availible il probably go for Ubuntu or some derivative of it.

Can anyone speak about Mint linux? If theres any point going for that over plain Ubuntu? Ive heard its more geared towards begginers.
Or any other suggestions on suitable distros for such a computer; to be used primarily for the web. Music software is not a prerequisite, really. (At least not for her laptop)

All insight greatly appreciated here; ive spent many many years being a geek, but never bothered to look into linux before.

I've jumped around distros before, but I've settled on Arch Linux. Its deliciously lightweight and super customizable.

Riverside, CA
Nursey wrote:

I've jumped around distros before, but I've settled on Arch Linux. Its deliciously lightweight and super customizable.

Me too :3
I gave Gentoo a shot but compiling everything was too much for me. I'll give it another shot when I have a powerful desktop.

Domu wrote:

I've been using Linux for a dozen or so years and Mint on my main box for the last three years or so (although admittedly not with a standard desktop environment).  Linux Mint isn't specifically geared towards beginners compared to Ubuntu, but would present no more problems for a beginner either.  I previously used Ubuntu, but switched to Mint thanks to issues with later Ubuntu releases, and I suspect many long-term Ubuntu users have done the same.  Coming from a history of having used many distributions, including a number of years spent with Gentoo, I am pleased to say that I am more or less happy with Mint for a desktop system.

Arch also ranks highly in my books, especially its excellent documentation, and would probably be my third choice of distribution in general, after Mint and Debian, and I choose Debian over Arch primarily because I am more familiar with it.  I feel that Arch may seem a bit too much like diving in at the deep end for someone who hasn't used Linux before, but I would happily recommend Mint to someone new to Linux.

West Yorks, UK

rvan: thanks alot for that. Yeah Arch sound nice but too complex for a linux n00b. and interested to hear you rate debian over ubuntu due to stability issues!

I found puredyne too, which some guys from my university helped make when I was there. this was 2010 though and it seems to be not supported anymore. that and im guessing i could just take that list of apps bundled with ubuntu studio and puredyne and just install them manually to a Mint-loaded PC.

Im going Mint!

Ciudad de méxico, MX

I'm using bitwig now, runs great on linux. It reminds me of ableton live. Is a pretty great DAW.