Mannheim, Germany

Im currently in the process of mixing and mastering my EP; since i dont have much experience with that, its pretty mediocre so far IMO. I thought it would be a good idea to use some reference tracks, but im not too sure which actually have good mastering. any suggestions?
im doing 1xLSDj with a DMG, the genre/style can be described as "instrumental chip-hiphop". im looking for a reasonably fat, hiphoppy sound.

this is what the tracks sound like right now: https://soundcloud.com/justtestingtesti … p-ep-lemon the compositions and arrangements arent even really finished right now, there are still loads of kinks i will try to sort out before properly releasing the EP.

any other hints and tips for mixing/mastering would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Orange Creamsicle (Jun 8, 2014 9:31 am)

Alabama

http://cheapbeatsmusic.bandcamp.com/alb … e-geometry

Give this a peek and when you do mixing and mastering this would be an EXCELLENT reference smile

IL, US

its best to choose a reference based on what sound you're going for, ie someone doing industiral metal might choose ministry's "the mind is a terrible thing to taste", though finding cross-genre references can be fun too.. though really, as long as you get a consistent sound on the release that you like, it doesnt matter what reference you use, if any

Tacoma WA

have someone else master it.  its worth paying a professional just for the fresh set of ears

Mannheim, Germany
infradead wrote:

have someone else master it.  its worth paying a professional just for the fresh set of ears

1. what helps more is to have some basic ability in mastering first, which i lack

2. do you REALLY believe that i have that kind of money?

3. i really doubt i would find someone who can work well with Game Boy chiptune.

Last edited by Orange Creamsicle (Jun 9, 2014 5:12 pm)

Mannheim, Germany
MaxDolensky wrote:

http://cheapbeatsmusic.bandcamp.com/alb … e-geometry

Give this a peek and when you do mixing and mastering this would be an EXCELLENT reference smile

sounds pretty good, i will try it out with that

Tacoma WA

if you're going to try and master you need to make sure you have a good listening environment.

you need to know the response of your speakers and your room. 

otherwise you're just spinning your wheels.

if you are going to master it yourself set back for a bit after you get it done before you master so you can approach it with fresh ears.

California, United States

It doesn't need to be mixed or masted. I think if you did a little EQ, (just a tiny bit) it would really pop, but other than that, all I would do is compress then normalize or amplify. With there isn't much you'll get out of trying to mix something like this because there are only 4 sounds at a time and everything can be heard clear. From what I've done 80% of mixing is done while you are writing the song, if you get it sounding just right the way you like before you go into an audio editor, you are on the right track! and yes what infradead says about having a good enviroment is important, but also turn off any sound card audio enhancers, EQ's or things like that - get it to the bare bones, no effects sound.

Indiana

What do you feel is lacking in your track? Is there something specific you're trying to get from a mastering process?

To my ears it sounds like you've already added some compression to the mix, and possibly some EQ? You also seem to have done all the the sequencing as well.

Reference tracks will help, but I really don't hear anything glaringly wrong with the mixes you posted. Determining in more specific terms what you feel your mix is lacking will give you a better idea of how to address it.

Mannheim, Germany
Fudgers wrote:

What do you feel is lacking in your track? Is there something specific you're trying to get from a mastering process?

To my ears it sounds like you've already added some compression to the mix, and possibly some EQ? You also seem to have done all the the sequencing as well.

Reference tracks will help, but I really don't hear anything glaringly wrong with the mixes you posted. Determining in more specific terms what you feel your mix is lacking will give you a better idea of how to address it.

i didnt add any compression that i know of, i just adjusted the volume for the pieces separately (e.g. i decreased the volume of the last piece by 2-3 dB). other than that, i just used equalization. also, i had drums/percussion recorded on separate channels, so i could adjust the level of the drums and EQ them separately.

IMO, most tracks have too much bass, but not even the same amount for every track, which also results in a lack of loudness.
other than that, the tracks dont have a BAD sound to me, but they should match up more than they do. and it shouldnt sound muffled or tinny compared to other artist's music, which is what I want to use reference tracks for. and yes, its exactly to avoid "spinning my wheels", since you lose track pretty fast of how it sounds compared to other artist's music unless you use some tracks for reference.

Last edited by Orange Creamsicle (Jun 11, 2014 11:21 am)

Indiana
Orange Creamsicle wrote:

IMO, most tracks have too much bass, but not even the same amount for every track, which also results in a lack of loudness.

Definitely use some compression if you're looking for more loudness, but not too much. Give the tracks you feel have too much bass a very gentle eq cut, use a wide Q and preferably less than 3dB either way. Use a compressor with a slower attack >10ms, and try to match the release setting to the rhythm of your song to avoid pumping

Try a multiband compressor as well. Some compression in the bass might help you even out some of the tracks. A good, free one I've found: (http://www.kvraudio.com/product/c3_mult … low_slider).

Put a hard limiter on your tracks with the more aggressive drum transients also. You could add 3-6dB of gain easily by just chopping those off.

Last edited by Fudgers (Jun 11, 2014 6:16 pm)

Mannheim, Germany
Fudgers wrote:

Definitely use some compression if you're looking for more loudness, but not too much. Give the tracks you feel have too much bass a very gentle eq cut, use a wide Q and preferably less than 3dB either way. Use a compressor with a slower attack >10ms, and try to match the release setting to the rhythm of your song to avoid pumping

Try a multiband compressor as well. Some compression in the bass might help you even out some of the tracks. A good, free one I've found: (http://www.kvraudio.com/product/c3_mult … low_slider).

Put a hard limiter on your tracks with the more aggressive drum transients also. You could add 3-6dB of gain easily by just chopping those off.

thanks, im always struggling with compression!