I've just gotten into modding gameboys and am wondering what other people do for painting. I've just uses a spray paint can from Home Depot that said it would work on plastics. Two weeks later the case still has that paint odor and feels kind of sticky though no paint comes off when I touch it.

So other painters, what kind of paint do you use? Do you have problems with the feel of the gameboy after painting?

Medina, Ohio

It sounds like you didn't clear coat it when finished. Just get a spray clan of matte or gloss clear coat depending upon what kind of finish you're trying to achieve. After several thin coats of paint have been applied, spray two or three thin coats of clear coat.

Santa Cruz, California

I generally use Rust-O-Leum Painters touch. I do light coats 4-5 hours apart, and allow them to dry in a warm place outside, but not in direct sunlight. I also make sure the pieces are warm before I lay down the first coat. A light primer coat also helps the paint cure properly.

The paint usually has a funny feel for a couple of days after painting.

Examples:

London

I used multona automotive spray paints a few times. They work quite well giving a gloss finish. Its also pretty hard to the touch, like some kind of enamel.

dsv101 wrote:

It sounds like you didn't clear coat it when finished. Just get a spray clan of matte or gloss clear coat depending upon what kind of finish you're trying to achieve. After several thin coats of paint have been applied, spray two or three thin coats of clear coat.

You're right. I didn't figure I'd need one. Guess i should do that.

Teh D3th St4r wrote:

I generally use Rust-O-Leum Painters touch.

I think the cans I have are Rust-O-Leum. I'm just concerned about the amount of time it's taking to cure.

I love your examples! Especially that black and pink one.

Santa Cruz, California
baudtack wrote:
dsv101 wrote:

You're right. I didn't figure I'd need one. Guess i should do that.

If the paint on your work doesn't feel like it's quite done, DO NOT SPRAY CLEAR COAT ON IT.
You're paint will wrinkle up like a Scirocco dashboard.

If you are going to use a clear coat, use a lacquer clear, not acrylic.

Yeah the more i think about it I'm wondering if i just had a heavy hand when painting and so the thicker coat is taking longer to cure than other people experience.

Medina, Ohio

8 really thin coats is better than 2 thick coats. (So I've learned through impatience)

I usually use Montana paint for my gameboys. The caps you get with the 94 line are really great for gradients. The paint is low pressure and the caps spray really thin and slow.

It dries in a few hours and it sticks to basically anything.
I wash my cases with dishwasher soap, just put them in a bucket and let them soak.

Some examples.

When I paint outside, I use a clear coat to protect the paint. I paint transparent gameboys on the inside.

Blablabla:
Just use some different paints, practice a lot on blocks of wood or something, get a good spraying technique.
Always begin and stop spraying away from the object to avoid splatter.
Etc.

Good luck!