Michigan
iron_or wrote:

Thanks everyone. I'm going to get ahold of a lsdj and a modded gameboy (or do it myself). Maybe in a few months i'll have some cool music.

If you want to buy a modded GB, talk to Stardriver. I can put you in touch with him. I bought a green, prosound, play-it-loud GB with a blue inverted backlight and it rips man. Let me know.

Last edited by Crashmast (Apr 5, 2023 10:45 am)

East Coast USA

Don't forget to look at Nanoloop! The interface was a little bit easier for me to wrap my head around than LSDJ (which always felt more like programming a piece of industrial equipment more than making music) and hard copies of Nanoloop are still being printed, unlike LSDJ which you will need an often expensive flashcart  to use on your gameboy.

Joliette, QC, Canada

If you want to make music with oldschool computer (like Atari ST, Amigas, ZXs, C64, CPC, etc.) try the emulators too ! Some of these will be a little bit weird to setup but it will make you a little bit familiar with the system. So you will see if you like it or not or if it's for you or not !!! Some of these can cost a lot if you want something ready to do some stuff and record !

Toronto, Canada

First just try out Nanoloop 1.3 and/or LSDJ on a Gameboy/Gameboy Color

Toronto, Canada

First just try out Nanoloop 1.3 and/or LSDJ on a Gameboy/Gameboy Color

IL, US

why'd you necro a thread from last july? presumably if this person followed through on their interest they've already gotten started on some stuff

Lake Titicaca

Forget about gameboys.

If you really enjoy gamepad controls (they do make it very comfortable to write music for long periods of time) buy a PSP 3000, install halfbyte loader, install LittleGameParkTracker...Use the monowave sample.

Don't use trackers that dont have accurate BPM...save yourself the headache later on when you sample your chip style sound design into a DAW. LittleGameParkTracker still has all the tables and stuff you need to get that sound (but it also has accurate BPM).

LSDJ is really good for "pure chip" people and electrician hobbyists who like modifying gameboys and building midi boxes. By pure chip I mean you only use gameboys soundchip/c64 sid chip/Soundblaster's opl3...real soundchips... and nothing else...As for the midi sync option, can you really be bothered to solder all that shit together, only to have it break later on? As for USB gameboy carts, they are a phucking headache for a while, then they break.

Get an android phone/tablet, use sunvox.

Install renoise...use renoise plugin capture with whatever chip VST.

Thats just my opinion...knave

Last edited by JaffaCakeMexica (Feb 18, 2016 7:12 pm)