Is it just me or are the LCDs in dmg pretty well crap? Both times I've gotten dmgs the lcds develop dead horizontal lines after a while. I know there is generally no fix, is there anyone who sells replacement lcds? I thought i wanted to try to mod and sell dmgs but this is a huge pain in the ass even if i just want one for myself.

It seems to me that its pretty much pot luck with the quality of the LCD you get. My first Gameboy hasn't developed anything in a year and one I got the other week started playing up almost immediately.

The only thing I can say is look on eBay for replacements as people do sell them sometimes as standalone items and secondly if you buy the Gameboy in person take batteries with you and test it before purchase.

CA

They develop dead horizontal lines because the vertical connection sort of wears off. This I believe depends on the conditions where the thing has been chilling all these years. So yah it's more of a lottery. I'd advise to buy a new one you can find them quite cheap on ebay or on garage sales where they're even cheaper.

Last edited by friendofmegaman (Jul 28, 2014 10:50 pm)

Just super frustrating when you spend time making a gameboy the way you want it and a week after you're done it gives you the finger making it irritating to use and useless for resale.

I have two already actually. Both developed the same problem though not to the same degree. I've got another one coming but i was hoping to sell it to cover part of the cost of the other two. I guess I should look for ones with dead vertical lines to fix as they are probably cheaper.

Cleveland, OH

Honestly if I had known what I know now about Game Boy LCDs I may have thought twice about going all in with thursdaycustoms. I lose a lot of money on LCDs that seem to be good and then once I open them up there is some cancer in the corners or the contrast wasn't set just right so you couldn't see the horizontal lines or something like that. Luckily most of the time it's vertical lines and they are fixable 9/10 times. It can get very frustrating be really it always ends up being worth it in the ends when a project turns out perfectly. Just keep trying!

Yeah. I have another one coming. I mostly was going to cover the cost of buying a new soldering iron. But didn't look like that is happening -_-

What do you mean cancer in the corner?

Cleveland, OH

Cancer is the black spots on the LCD where the liquid crystals have broken loose. It's called cancer because it can't be fixed and usually spreads over time.

... Well that explains what that is.  The bottom of the lcd is covered in that crap.  Ugh. At least the one that is coming came with a game that i can sell to recoup the cost of the gameboy itself. People being too lazy to sell Pokemon by itself ftw

thursdaycustoms wrote:

Honestly if I had known what I know now about Game Boy LCDs I may have thought twice about going all in with thursdaycustoms. I lose a lot of money on LCDs that seem to be good and then once I open them up there is some cancer in the corners or the contrast wasn't set just right so you couldn't see the horizontal lines or something like that.

What do you do at that point? Just chuck the whole thing?

I'm so frustrated by this I'm seriously thinking about bagging the whole damn thing and just buying one.

CA

IMO the worst LCDs are Pocket's. Or its just me being unlucky but the LCD ribbon cable is so fragile there that sometimes it just falls apart after the slightest touch.

Also I noticed that sometimes reflective/polarizing film is peeled off quite easily, but in 50% of cases it won't stay in one piece when I try to remove it - it tears apart making it nearly impossible to remove and leaves some gluey residue behind sad

Last edited by friendofmegaman (Jul 28, 2014 11:02 pm)

baudtack wrote:

is there anyone who sells replacement lcds?

kitsch was working on replacements.

So I just ruined yet another screen trying to fix some horizontal lines.  I figured I would take a hair drying to it, heat it up a bit, and see if the adhesive would soften up and dry up in a better spot.

Kitsch, if you can somehow make some replacements you'll be bringing to life 4 gameboys here.

I think I've had it with backlighting gameboys due to these crappy LCDs.  My nice 3 ones look great though and I hope they stay that way.

Raverrevolution wrote:

So I just ruined yet another screen trying to fix some horizontal lines.  I figured I would take a hair drying to it, heat it up a bit, and see if the adhesive would soften up and dry up in a better spot.

Kitsch, if you can somehow make some replacements you'll be bringing to life 4 gameboys here.

I think I've had it with backlighting gameboys due to these crappy LCDs.  My nice 3 ones look great though and I hope they stay that way.

Its very difficult.. nearly impossible to fix horizontal lines on the gameboy LCD that may be why you were having trouble?

I've fixed 3 gameboys recently that had vertical lines by using a soldering iron to the strip like most tutorials say to do and it worked fine smile

Yeah I got like 20 gameboys with broken or missing lcds, wouldn't mind replacements smile