Uk

Hello I am new to the forums and I am waiting for my gameboys and lsdj cartridges to turn up as I write. I am most excited about starting to make chiptune but have already run up against a problem. It seems that link cables are not that easy to come by in the uk.

My question is this. Can I substitute the current data link connectors on my gameboys for something new and more easily available like d-sub or ps-2 connector or something similar? Will the data sync still work?

Thanks

S

Dallas, Texas

I'd imagine sourcing a link cable will be easier than doing and connector transplant. (albeit less fun tongue)

But as long as a connection is made to the relevant pins from the original link connector you should be fine using a modern one.

Or you can just find a link cable from ebay or something like I did. Cheapy china cable might do fine depending on your application. (The cheapies don't have a 5v pin for making arduinoboys)

Uk

Cool. Problem is I am experimenting using the different sound characteristics of a dng and Pgb together to see if they compliment each other and universal cables seem pricy and hard to find if broken. Thanks for the advice though. This one is going on the mod list smile

Brighton

You should be able to grab one for a couple of quid on ebay.

SLC, UT

Yes using a different connector will work. You'll see a 'tacoMIDI' mod that uses a 3.5mm jack for midi sync. This mod is doing exactly what you're saying. I've had this discussion before and mini usb was brought up. The issue there is there's not really usb-mini to usb-mini cables around. I also thought of a sata port, that may fit well and have enough connections.

Uk

SATA port is absolute genius. Well done stargazer! Now where to find a couple of them...I do have an old PC I could steal them from *rubs hands together and reaches for screw driver and soldering iron*.

SLC, UT

Here you go: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mol … Jajw%3d%3d

or

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mol … HcC06ktDOx

This page is also good:

http://www.molex.com/molex/products/fam … troduction

SLC, UT

Actually, now that I think about it, eSATA may be better. More robust connector designed for repeated plugging and unplugging.

reject of nintendoage

replacing the connector shouldn't be a problem, one thing to keep in mind though is that gb link cables have two internal wires crossed over, so a standard sata cable may have to be modified.
does this kinda defeat the purpose of having easily replaceable cables?

South UK
shizcake wrote:

replacing the connector shouldn't be a problem, one thing to keep in mind though is that gb link cables have two internal wires crossed over, so a standard sata cable may have to be modified.
does this kinda defeat the purpose of having easily replaceable cables?

Or, you could always flip the pin over in one of the GBs? Or, if going for an arduinoboy, in that?

As long as everything else uses the same connector, just do "the patch cable twist" in one of the units.

Simples!