Baton Rouge, LA

A lot of you guys have really helped me out learning about lsdj and the gameboy. I can't thank you enough. This song isn't my first song but the first i've posted. Lemme know what you think.

http://chipmusic.org/killedatschool/music/axolotl

This track is awesome! Like the comments on the track itself it feels very much like you've written it on a guitar and transposed it over which gives it an almost Rock type feel.. love it!

Baton Rouge, LA
J3wel wrote:

This track is awesome! Like the comments on the track itself it feels very much like you've written it on a guitar and transposed it over which gives it an almost Rock type feel.. love it!

That's exactly what I did. I play by ear so I'm naked without the guitar. I don't know what notes I'm playing so it took a while to punch it all in. It's really cool to get a visual of what I'm playing. It's like the gameboy is teaching me theory. Glad you like the track. More to come!

Toronto, Canada

OK, that was awesome!!  More like that please.  Really enjoyed the tempo changes and drum fills, as well as the melodic harmony.  You've really captured the essence of poppy punk and applied it to the gameboy.

Great stuff!

Baton Rouge, LA
jonny5 wrote:

OK, that was awesome!!  More like that please.  Really enjoyed the tempo changes and drum fills, as well as the melodic harmony.  You've really captured the essence of poppy punk and applied it to the gameboy.

Great stuff!

Thanks! I like the drum fills a lot also. Each song I do I try to do something different. This song was really about percussion. Squeezing as much in as possible. Kind words. Thank you.

STARDRAIN, CA

yeah dude i heard this last night, sick shit! i really like the breaks in the beats and melodic structure. not much is repeated and the parts that are repeated feel like they SHOULD BE. good stuff all around honestly. i like the breakdown with the solo. fuckin smooth ass solo. god damn it i need to focus on really sweet LSDJ solo's. it's a bit hard for me since i can't PLAY it out on a keyboard. prolly should get a LSDJ keyboard soon. wicked stuff! hope to see a release soon!

Baton Rouge, LA
Kool Skull wrote:

yeah dude i heard this last night, sick shit! i really like the breaks in the beats and melodic structure. not much is repeated and the parts that are repeated feel like they SHOULD BE. good stuff all around honestly. i like the breakdown with the solo. fuckin smooth ass solo. god damn it i need to focus on really sweet LSDJ solo's. it's a bit hard for me since i can't PLAY it out on a keyboard. prolly should get a LSDJ keyboard soon. wicked stuff! hope to see a release soon!

To repeat or not repeat a phrase or chain is a constant battle for me. Typically I don't like to do verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus, end. If it works for the song, sure. I love songs that constantly evolve. I had other parts that I wanted in this song but they did translate well from the guitar to the gameboy. Don't know if that is because I chose poor instrument values or it's just something that sounds better on a guitar. Its still on the .sav file waaaaayy down on the bottom so I can always tinker with it. Maybe when I put out an actual release it will sneak it's way in.

The solo was tuff because I don't know scales. It took me a while to finger some notes together that I liked. I pretty much just jammed along  to the backing track for a day or so until I decided to start punching it in. It would be burned in my head while I was at work and I would whistle out the lead then come home and find those notes on the neck.

Im so humbled by the responses from all of you. Thank you so much.

Melbourne, Australia

Yup, listened to this last night. Very impressive, especially for a 3rd attempt at LSDj.

Tight drums, great harmonies, and yeah, obviously some very rock/punk/screamo goodness going on here. Really loved the composition of the all the different sections and their progressions.

By the sounds of it, you're a musically-illiterate guitarist like myself (with a strong ability to play by ear because of it), so I know exactly how you feel about 'finding the notes on the neck'. I've found over the last couple of years though that LSDj and (more recently) learning to play keys is teaching me a fair bit about notes, scales, chord progressions, etc. It feels good.

Definitely looking forward to an EP or similar smile

Last edited by Calavera (Aug 27, 2014 12:21 am)

Baton Rouge, LA

Its not my third attempt, just my third completed song. I've been tinkering for a year or so. I have a library of hooks just no song to carry it.

I totally agree about it teaching me music. When I see all the notes in front of me I start noticing patterns, and i'm "oh this makes sense". I've been playing guitar for about 20 years. 12 of those years were in a punk band and i'm just now learning music from a toy! Love it.

Thank you for the feedback.

Melbourne, Australia
killedatschool wrote:

Its not my third attempt, just my third completed song. I've been tinkering for a year or so.

Aha, that makes more sense smile