Now, I'm going to assume this is a battery issue, but my abundant lack of electronics/modding/game boy knowledge means I don't really know what to do about it. I can certainly turn up the contrast while playing music, but that can get to be a pain, and is not a very nice solution.

Specific details: This is a Game Boy Pocket (as you can see), with nonfinite electronics' V5 backlight with Varia5uit mod installed (the normal magenta option for the Pocket). A very poor installation, but it sorta works. I'm running LSDJ in an EMS 64M USB Cartridge.

Anyone who knows what they're doing have some advice?

Batteries are probably getting low on juice.

Happens to me all the time, just replace them and it should be fine.

Mmm, figured that might have been the problem, seeing as it was getting dimmer with time. Just seems to be happening much quicker than I'd like...which I guess I should expect with the backlight using up extra battery power.

Thanks for the clarification, though!

Outer Space
Atmosene wrote:

Mmm, figured that might have been the problem, seeing as it was getting dimmer with time. Just seems to be happening much quicker than I'd like...which I guess I should expect with the backlight using up extra battery power.

invest in rechargable batteries bruh!

I have started using Ikea own brand batteries, super cheap but amazing battery life in gameboys.

Myself 2xAA and Protodome all use them.

UK, Leicester
OmO wrote:
Atmosene wrote:

seconding this

Michigan

There was a parallel battery mod for the GB pocket, but I can't remember the full details. Let me look that up again. ...

Alpine wrote:
OmO wrote:

seconding this

Thats funny, I use them too. tongue

Mmm. Rechargeable batteries it is. Considering the amount of batteries I'd go through otherwise, it only makes sense. My family's always had something against them though, so I don't think of them very often...

While I'm here, does anyone know if there's a solution to the low rumbling noise that occurs whenever you press a button in LSDJ with headphones connected? It can be a tiny bit annoying...

Medina, Ohio

I find that rechargeable batteries go a decent amount quicker, make sure you get something around 2200 mAh for a decent life before needed recharging.

Yup. I approve the "Rechargable Batteries" approach.

I've been going through AAs like nobody's business. I gotta buy some rechargables, and soon.

I'm surprised more people aren't modding in rechargeable Li-Ion packs There are several very tiny units that are built around 1-2 cells with tiny regulator/charge boards for very cheap. If you remove them from their pen-style housings, they can be slipped into dmg cases without much fuss.

Cleveland, OH
duo wrote:

I'm surprised more people aren't modding in rechargeable Li-Ion packs There are several very tiny units that are built around 1-2 cells with tiny regulator/charge boards for very cheap. If you remove them from their pen-style housings, they can be slipped into dmg cases without much fuss.

I get asked to do this mod all the time. I never recommend it because I think two sets of rechargeable batteries is more practical in the long run. If you think of how any cell phone or Nintendo DS works it's annoying to have to plug it in to recharge it. It kills the "portable" functionality I would much prefer a phone, DS or even Game Boy to have a rechargeable pack. And I would want two. One that stays in the device and one that stays on the charger. Well, now I have a new product idea. Thanks!

King's Lynn, UK

I found some alk batteries in that UK discount place, £1 for 20, but each 4 only lasted about 2-4 hours in my DMG. Invested £45 on 2 4 packs of the Duracell Duralocks (2400mah) and a charger, and have never looked back. I've had them since before March and have only recharged them once - granted, I probably don't use my DMG quite as much as the rest of you, but still it's impressive.

South UK
thursdaycustoms wrote:

If you think of how any cell phone or Nintendo DS works it's annoying to have to plug it in to recharge it. It kills the "portable" functionality

I don't get that vibe at all. Doesn't annoy me one bit plugging in my phone/DS to charge.

I'm currently modding a DMG to run off LiPo, and plugging in a charger instead of looking for my batteries seems like a plus to me!

Only sucks if you use a battery pack that's too small.