So I recently got into lsdj and am currently learning it. While looking around at different 8-bit songs etc I came across this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JQkW6BgUYU I am very curious as to how he has pulled this off. From just watching I am assuming on the two DMGs he has the track playing and he is using the c64 to play over it...I could be completely wrong. Now how would one set something up like this?

IL, US

that video is a fan-made video for a track by Jeroen Tel.. what you see has little to do with how it was made.. never trust youtube comments to tell you info worth knowing, people like to talk out of their asses on there... as far as i can tell, this is probably 100%  c64

England

its deffo not the original Jeroen Tel track, the reverb and percussion is very un-sid sounding.

i think its just a cover using different things.

watchin a couple of other vids they did, looks like they jam along with backing traxxx.

Last edited by Jellica (Aug 27, 2014 6:29 pm)

It's one guy,  that's Lukhash... He uses LSDJ and Cynthcart for the C64,  as far as I know.

Watching the video, this looks like just 2x C64 with Cynthcart and a backing track in Ableton.  I suspect the DMGs aren't doing anything.  Notice that they have no link cables, and no-one presses start.

STARDRAIN, CA

lol this video

San Diego

Those gameboys aren't even on. When he got the Novapad I noticed he was sampling gameboy tracks that he made it LSDJ onto it. Mostly though, if you were looking for a live setup you'd have maybe one of those gameboys setup with your drums/beat/riff for tempo into the guitar pedal (just to the right in the video) and then play the C64. There's more then one way to set all of that stuff up though, especially if you have a MIDI input for your gameboys or other effects processors in your rig.

Joliette, QC, Canada
Vile wrote:

Those gameboys aren't even on. When he got the Novapad I noticed he was sampling gameboy tracks that he made it LSDJ onto it. Mostly though, if you were looking for a live setup you'd have maybe one of those gameboys setup with your drums/beat/riff for tempo into the guitar pedal (just to the right in the video) and then play the C64. There's more then one way to set all of that stuff up though, especially if you have a MIDI input for your gameboys or other effects processors in your rig.

I remember seeing that on Jeroen wall some time ago !
The gameboys only have pro sound and screens looks like they were backlighted but they doesnt seem to be On !
...btw looks like there is only 1 thing plugged in that fx pedal when 2 c64 2 gameboys and maybe a laptop plays at the same time...where is the mixer ?!

San Francisco

I have seen these before.  if you have watched any other of this guy's videos and read the descriptions you would know that he uses backing tracks from his laptop and plays simple leads over them with synthcart (somtimes lsdj with a keyboard) for all the videos. I have seen this dood's videos a lot as they have been coming out for years and no it is not made on a gameboy. it might have some game boy in it but its not 100%.

Just a laptop, some added chip elements here and there, and a synthcart.

I like this guy. Enjoyed a bunch of his videos in the past.

CHIPTUNE

fake it till you bake it

Solar System

1x Novation Launchpad
2x GAMEBOY LSDJ Cart
2x C64 PROPHET64 Cart
?x Effects
1x Notebook
1x VODKA
2x Fake DUDE with mask like from WATCHMEN acting like MILLI VANILI...

Thats all.

Last edited by Matej (Aug 29, 2014 2:09 pm)