Hi, I'm hoping someone can shed some light on what I'm doing wrong or what I'm missing with my dmg backlight/bivert.

I started off by installing an el backlight and placing the polarized film in the "normal" position. This gave me a backlit dmg with the standard color palette.

After this, I installed a hex inverter and tested it again. I now had a backlit, inverted image as expected.

To complete the "biversion" I rotated the polarized film 90 degrees. However, in this position the polarized film seems to just be blocking all light rather than doing an additional inversion as expected. Does anyone have any ideas where I'm going wrong? Do I simply need a new/different polarized film?

Thanks!

Here are some pictures if it's helpful

Dmg backlight installed:

Hex inverter installed:

Polarized film rotated 90 degrees:

nova scotia

Did you peel off both layers of film from the LCD? It should look almost clear without the polarizer behind it, no green layer.

Thanks for your reply. That's correct, I peeled both layers off the back side of the LCD and it looked clear when done. They did not come off cleanly so it took a lot of work to get it all removed. I was worried I would damage the ribbon cables to the LCD in the process, but got lucky.
There is just a clear layer and a "foil", right? If there's something additional then I definitely could have missed that...

nova scotia

From the third picture it really looks like the green polarizing layer is still there. The borders of the screen look to be greenish in tint when they should be blue.

Thank you! That's exactly what the problem was. It peeled off with no problem and everything is working as expected now

nova scotia

Glad you got it working!

Manchester, UK

Can we see a picture of it working?

SLC, UT
ChipCzuk wrote:

Can we see a picture of it working?

+1

looks good, there is actually 3 layers if you consider the adhesive of the reflective layer. the easiest way to make sure you got that back polarized layer off is to turn it on with a piece of white paper behind the LCD and make sure you get no image no matter where the contrast dial is

That's a very good tip for the newbs like me. Photobucket seems to be down at the moment, but I'll post a picture of it working as soon as I can. This backlight really does look great. The noise from the power inverter isn't ideal, but I can live with it.

Here's a picture of it working properly

SLC, UT

Looks great! Why is there noise from the power inverter? I'm not sure if you by power inverter you mean hex inverter and noise you mean display noise. Or is there actually noise from the power inverter board? If so, what does that have to do with the bivert?

matt's mind

there is an inverter board which makes the EL work.  thats the inverter board he's talking about.  EL tech in general will have this issue, even on a very small scale (like a backlit wrist watch...  if you turn on the light and put it up to your ear, you'll hear the same thing.  more noticeable the bigger the inverter and EL panel).

SLC, UT

OHHHH sorry, I missed that he was using an el panel. Thanks. PS, I killed my first DMG screen last night, so anytime you could release your new screen that would be great. wink