Australia

Durgs.

Czech Republic

Just sit down and work on your songs, you lazy bastards. Don't waste your time on this forum. And take more drugs. Much more.

Leiden

Gaming, a lot of it, especially oldshool games. My songs NEED to give you a feeling that you want to turn on that old NES again. If so, my mission is accomplished, if not, back to the drawing table.

I don't have a real source of inspiration, it's just that while composing I try to think about what kind of game could fit with the song itself. Most of my songs are a kind of rock styled megaman/castlevania atmosphere. And a good amount of beer also helps with finalizing.

Sometimes I feel like it's not even me who creates the tracks but my 8bit digital alter ego... I like to call those moments *working on auto pilot* as it feels like translating what is in my head wink.

Does this makes you want to play some Castlevania?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt35vUQ … sQ49pkisfw

Last edited by Carfie (Sep 26, 2014 2:18 pm)

Whateverville, California

Personally I try to take things that I have feelings/thoughts about and try to convey that through music. I used to be a serious lyricist when I was younger, writing mostly topical political songs. Now that I'm making chiptune as my primary musical project, I've been trying to use my songs to tell more personal stories. Some turn out more like expository nature writing, or even like the condensed overture for a little play, but a lot of them can be summed up in a single sentence: "Emotions run wild as young love develops" or "Don't let the burdens of adult life dull your childlike wonder at the universe" or "Playing Outrun at a pizza parlor during a sweet birthday party circa 1994". Keeping that seed concept in mind, the song (hopefully) develops into a representation of that feeling.

All things considered, it seems like inspiration is where you find it. It's an incredibly personal phenomenon. Some writers have a story to tell that drives and informs their songs, some have a person who they use as a muse, some have drugs, some have emotional torment and/or fulfillment, others use and recycle other media. Maybe the question isn't so much "where does one get inspiration" but "where do I get inspiration". To me it seems like the answer to that should be easy. People usually know what they like. tongue

UK, Leicester

1. I don't really have an inspiration to write music, until I start. I'll pick up a guitar or a keyboard, and just fuck around. If something sounds nice, then I'll develop it, and that will be my motivation.

2. Without trying to sound 2 hurad-core, I don't put emotions into my music. I don't write angry songs when I'm angry, I just write songs.

New Albany Indiana

1. I listen to an 8 hour loop of just the "brk" sample until i go into euphoria.
2. I don't remember I usually just black out and wake up at waffle house. day repeats.