When I run this tracker on a real C64C plugged into my TV via s-video the top and bottom of the screen (the info area and third row of the orderlist area) get cut off! Does this have anything to do with my machine being NTSC? Does this happen to anyone else? SID-Wizard is on version 1.4 now by the way.

Those parts of the screen are being displayed in the border area right up to the edges. Sid Wizard detects NTSC ok so I'd assume your TV's vertical positioning is a bit off.  (though c64 wasn't really designed to have gfx in that area anyway smile )  Can you adjust the screen height or position in any way?

I tried 3 different TVs and had the same problem. Looking at the manual for one of them tells me that vertical position is only adjustable on the VGA input. Maybe an s-video>VGA adapter would work. sad

Thanks for the help.

BK

I actually have the same problem with my c64, unfortuanately. womp womp.

I dug out my old laptop running Windows XP and have the C64 hooked up to it via an EasyCap video capture thing. Using a program called DScaler to view it. And it works! The top half of the SID-Wizard logo is still chopped off, but the important thing is that now I can see all three rows of the orderlist. Time to make some noise!

I did try getting the EasyCap to run on my newer Windows 7 laptop but couldn't get the driver to work.

Anyway, far from ideal. Totally regretting giving away my C64 monitor to Damon of Starscream (Infinity Shred?). There was just no way to take it with me when I moved away. Still not ideal though, as it wasn't exactly flatscreen. hmm

California

Sorry for the bump, but I'm having the same problem right now. If I can't find a way to adjust the height and position like 4mat says, does that mean that I have to find another TV to use?

Yeah probably.   I mean there's nowhere else they can shift the sprites to apart from another screen, and that'd involve a bunch more coding Hermit probably wouldn't want to do.   Just run it on Vice and play the tracks on your c64 later, with resid-FP it really isn't going to sound that different. (especially if you're using an 8580)

I just encountered this issue and the solution was to adjust the vertical height on my Commodore 1084 monitor.  It's also possible to adjust the V height on the more common Commodore 1702, but the adjustment pot is inside the case. 

I'm mentioning it because originally, even with Commodore monitors, I was having the same issue and I wasn't sure if it was the software or my gear.  The top half of the SID-Wizard logo is still chopped off, but you can see everything that's needed to be functional.

Last edited by Overthink (Aug 25, 2013 4:07 pm)

USA

http://blackb3ltjones.blogspot.com/2012 … -mods.html

VGA upscale yo. 15 bucks.

Noplanet wrote:

Interesting. Anyone tried this with SID-Wizard?

USA
Awol wrote:
Noplanet wrote:

Interesting. Anyone tried this with SID-Wizard?

Oh I didn't try it, but I talked to the video creator, It's not a fix. He was actually using a PAL C64.
There's no fix for this unfortunately other than converting your C64 to PAL.
Not a bad idea considering how much more software is native and will work without issue.
There are other trackers like cyber tracker that use a nice window interface for instrument editing.
I actually like cybertrackers envelope interface. It's a lot easier than hex editing. If only there were a 2SID version.

Well has anyone actually tried it with an NTSC machine?

USA

I just converted my NTSC C64 to PAL. Pretty easy, you just need the VIC-II chip and the crystal oscillator and then solder bridge the clock multiplier jumper pads. You can find PAL VIC-II on european ebay for like 15 bucks and the PAL crystals are on mouser for less than 10. The song speeds are slower of course, but it never hiccups and you get full screen full compatibility. Plus a much larger game library. wink

London, UK

i still have this problem on my c64c even though I also use easycap video capture device on xp pc. it is a PAL machine,

USA

could be the video cap device. have you tried it on different tv's? All the different decoders work different. Maybe there's a setting inside windows to expand the video input. Other than that I wouldn't know off hand.