Melbourne, Australia

So, today, I semi-impulse bought a Mega Drive II, and upon returning home and scrolling for what seemed like eternity to get the right frequency on the TV, the screen burst into life and Streets of Rage began... however, there was no funky fresh FM to be heard from the MD... I tried another TV with similar results... sad Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? Or is the thing stuffed...? hmm

Could be the cable, or worse a hardware issue. If it's a hardware issue hang in there, there's people around here that know how to handle that stuff.

Melbourne, Australia

Okay, thanks! I've got a friend who also has one, so I'm going to get him to lend me it and compare and see if I can get one of them to work and go from there as well... Hopefully that will help diagnose it further... and hopefully it's not hardware... hmm
*btw loving your work on YMDJ! It's mainly why I bought the Megadrive... haha big_smile

Thank you. It won't be too much longer until it can be used to actually write music.

Melbourne, Australia

You have no idea how excited I am!! big_smile Until then, I'm going to practise my FM sounds in Deflemask... wink haha

Wait until you see the updates on this tracker!

Any progress on your audio issue?

Last edited by CountSymphoniC (Oct 21, 2014 4:18 pm)

Michigan

Get as far away from the rf modulator as possible! Can you do mods? I suggest an RCA mod for composite video and split L and R audio. The model 2's are pretty poor actually, but damn easy to mod.

Melbourne, Australia

I can't wait for the updates! big_smile

Well, I took it to a friends house and tried it on a different TV and it worked first go! big_smile So, I think it's just a bit temperamental. hmm However, the RF cable broke because it got stuck in the TV... sad
But yeah, I'm looking into an AV cable or something. I'm just a bit reluctant to mod it because it has a warranty, and I wanted to know that it would work before trying to mod it... Also, I haven't really seen many comprehensive mod guides...?

Michigan
Panda Chan wrote:

I can't wait for the updates! big_smile

Well, I took it to a friends house and tried it on a different TV and it worked first go! big_smile So, I think it's just a bit temperamental. hmm However, the RF cable broke because it got stuck in the TV... sad
But yeah, I'm looking into an AV cable or something. I'm just a bit reluctant to mod it because it has a warranty, and I wanted to know that it would work before trying to mod it... Also, I haven't really seen many comprehensive mod guides...?

In that case, I would hold off for now but in the future I recommend a few mods. PM me if you need more info.
In any case, I'll stick this here.
Photo of the appropriate pins on the model 2 for composite video and stereo audio:

Go for an S-video mod if you have the components and skill.

Melbourne, Australia

Oh awesome! Thanks heaps! big_smile I might have to ask you for some advice later on then tongue haha