Sweeeeeeden

I will answer the long due unanswered questions.

Nanoloop: I'm sorry that I have neglected this question. NL cartridge support is not yet ready, simply because I haven't gotten to it yet. I want to do a minor reorganization of the over-all code before getting to it, but when that's done I will add the NL support. NL cartridge support should not be problematic and is an expected feature, but I do not want to announce it as done until it's done and confirmed to be stable.

I have two older NL cartridges, that were generously donated by Bud Melvin and someone else whose name escapes me, as well as an NL One. At a later point, I may want to borrow other cartridges if they are significantly different in function from the ones that I have. It may also be possible to add support for this remotely, that is, to send a beta version of the software to someone owning a flasher and a Nanoloop cartridge and let them try it.

Mac OS X support: I have currently installed a Hackintosh setup to allow me to test the software on OS X, and so far it works well. The software is written in Python, and the hardware is using an FTDI virtual serial port chip, which should make the software very platform independent. Currently Windows, OS X and Linux are confirmed working platforms, but even something like BSD or even Solaris should be a problem if there is just an FTDI serial driver for those systems.

The only cloud on the horizon with regard to OS X support is a problem reported to affect Arduino users. This problem stems from the fact that Apple included their own driver for interfacing FTDI chips. I have a hunch that this problem may affect ALTANE as well, if the problem is what I think is. Unfortunately I don't have access to a Mavericks installation to confirm this. (I've only been able to install Snow Leopard, OS X 10.6 so far.) There are three possible outcomes:

1) There actually is no problem using ALTANE on Mavericks. (Hooray.)
2) The problem is what I think it is, and I will be able to work around it easily.
3) ALTANE is affected, and I can't figure out a way to solve the problem. In this case there is still a work-around that involves installing FTDI's original driver.

For now, I'm confident ALTANE will be able work on all (modern) versions of OS X, including Mavericks.

Reference: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=198539.0

Sweet.
If you still want to test on nanoloop 1.0, I'm glad to borrow you mine if you so please.

Abandoned on Fire

How's the preorders going?  Getting close to the required number?

egr wrote:

How's the preorders going?  Getting close to the required number?

We don't actually have a required number, the project will get funded regardless of the amount of pre-orders. However, more pre-orders will allow us to comfortably put the final components of ALTANE into production sooner.

So to anyone considering pre-ordering, please keep in mind It helps us out a lot. Remember, the Toxic Green version is only available as a pre-order bonus. We will provide other pre-order incentives soon as well, which will be included to everyone that has already pre-ordered.

http://asmretro.com/altane/

Thanks to all who have blogged about ALTANE and the FIGHTERCART and have shared ALTANE on social networking sites, it really helps.

Again, to keep up with progress on our side, many of our updates are posted at https://www.facebook.com/asmretro

Our recent update is that the case design is 100% complete and we have the 3D printed version in our hands now.

Abandoned on Fire

Yay, this is all good news!  big_smile

Hey. Would I be able to make a ROM image using this utility?

I don't know enough about programming myself, but I've been wanting a way to grab the picture data off of a Game Boy Camera for ages.

Abandoned on Fire
ZeroV2 wrote:

Hey. Would I be able to make a ROM image using this utility?

I don't know enough about programming myself, but I've been wanting a way to grab the picture data off of a Game Boy Camera for ages.

Yes, this will let you grab your gb camera pictures.  smile

Also lots of good info here: http://www.7outof10.co.uk/how-to-transf … 8/08/2012/

Abandoned on Fire

How's this coming along?  Not complaining or whining, just legitimately curious.  smile

Boston, MA

Going very well. I'm still waiting on the final case sample here, which will hopefully be here today. There was (is?) some problems shipping from China. Apparently everything is being screened, so it caused some delays with this sample. If it's here today, I'll have an update in around an hour.

Once I verify this sample, we can put everything into production, which doesn't take very long. The main time expense was the mold production.

Last edited by asmretro (Oct 29, 2014 1:51 pm)

Abandoned on Fire

Woot!  big_smile

USA

I preordered mine a few months ago and I for one am incredibly excited. This will make life much, much easier.

Boston, MA

Here's the prototype! The final run will be textured.

ohgodno, Indiana

is there anyway to get em in black?

Boston, MA

Down the road we may auction off some of our prototypes. It's generally not worth it for us to sell them though, because the average prototype runs from $200-$500 USD or more.

Boston, MA

Here's a view of the ALTANE cases with texture. Currently we are casting the limited edition green shells.

The cartridge slots have been sent off to the PCB fab for production, we have now put a cap on the amount of pre-orders we're taking. So if you would like to grab the limited edition green shell, now is the time to do so. We will never cast these shells in this color again.

Image was posted on instagram, you can find the ASM crew at:
http://instagram.com/asmretro (operated by ultramega)
http://instagram.com/apeshitmods

Brooklyn NY US

Awesome that this is proceeding so nicely. Any updates on Nanoloop 1.1 / 1.2 / 1.3 read & write support?