Finland

Recently discovered a great application for chip sounds... All three are songs that I'm planning to record with real instruments, so these are prototypes. Imagine them sounding like your favourite doom metal band. wink

I'm still using GXSCC but tried some new tricks. For instance, adding echo can make a difference!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P … -95nxhPfL-

Montreal, Canada

Oh yes, gloomy chip. Instant like!

Send me raw MIDI files and I could run it though real hardware chip synths for you, adding to the dirt. Seriously let me know... this deserves it.

Last edited by lain2097 (Nov 16, 2014 2:16 am)

Finland

I'm afraid it's not that simple.. sad I had several MIDI files for each of the "doom" songs for different instruments - I had to GXSCC the tracks separately to be able to use different effects in mixing. I bet everyone here thinks this was pretty fucked up way to do the job. smile

However, here's another one to try out if you like. I've always wanted to hear this one as "the real thing" version. It's my original, written in early 2014.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iobff8blyaryd … I.mid?dl=0

Montreal, Canada

Got it, cool. I'll take a crack at it. Hmm at some points there's a lot of polyphony (4 voices) so I'll have to get creative. That or throw in FM tongue Watch this space.

Montreal, Canada

Well got a bit carried away so I did it three ways, NES/AY3, OPL3 & SPC700. 8bit version is using AY3 on 'lead guitar', MIDINES on everything else. Bit of a cheat with overdubs but that's how a 12 voice NES would sound like tongue I had to do a lot of hand editing of the midi tracks to compensate for the MIDINES midi implementation, even then the pitch bends are not the same curve. However I liked how it comes across as glitching so I left it. TO make it really authenticate you would have to cut it down to only five voices.

OPL3 version is a straight one pass, directly no mixing off SammichFM. Which is pretty much spot on for OPL as OPL3/YMF262 has enough voices, reminds me of doom II.

SPC700 was more for fun, many instances of C700 plug-in loaded with real ripped SPC samples I ripped myself. Then off to a hardware bit crusher (Shruthi-1 DSP) to give that sloppy heavily filtered 32khz DAC. One day I hope that hardware SPC cart will see the light of day!

I have the original tracks too (in 96k/24) if you want to mix it yourself.

http://www.filedropper.com/retrospective

Last edited by lain2097 (Nov 17, 2014 11:47 pm)

Finland

Finally got it. It took forever to download, I'm not sure if it's my connection or the filedropper (ftp?) limitation.

Now that sounded different. smile Most of the time not very musical to be honest. I see you put different versions in there. There was certainly issues in all of them, and the MIDI would require further editing to make sound it right, just like you said.

Funny how some of the long notes were played as short notes, and the "rhythm guitar" is an octave too low in the SPX mix. The drums in the 8bit mix sounded pretty good, reminded me of NES Batman! I appreciate your effort on this!