West Yorks, UK

looking to recreate the feel of the legendary ngp joystick for a handheld device. the short height of the neo geo pocket stick (along with that nub) is one of the primary factors that make it awesome, so im looking for "micro" micro-switched joysticks really.
have no idea where or how to find out about such things though! halp?
thanks!

Minneapolis

I dunno about re-creating it, but I had a project I really wanted an NGPC joystick inside of. So I got a beat up NGPC and stole the joystick from it.

I went from this:

to this:

Keep in mind that the outer plastic housing is also part of the joystick and will have to be carefully cut away in order to be used. I used my laser cutter to very precisely slice mine out, with a nice indentation around the center part so that it would fit perfectly into the Gravis gamepad.

West Yorks, UK

Arfink could you please do something similar for me? I intended on finding a replacement and ordering many to make multiple units, but id be very happy with a prototype with an authentic NGP stick. in fact, i think my unit is broken. Its hurts me but at least i wont feel too guilty about the cannabilization now.... Its to be hooked up to a raspberry pi btw... I could hire you to cut the case for me too if youre interested!

Minneapolis

Can't do at the moment bro. So sorry, I just moved to Idaho and I don't have my workshop set back up yet. The main critical thing is that lasers make very dangerous fumes, and I don't have the ventilation I need here. So all lasering is on hold at the moment. I'd look for someone skilled with a dremel. I am not, which is why I got the laser. tongue

West Yorks, UK

ah no worries. that gravis pad is fucking awesome by the way. il try and find someone who can hit it up but give me a shout as and when you get lasering again to see if I've managed to or not, if you would like to do so. that and a sort of pibow type gaming pi case I've designed. cheers!

West Yorks, UK

god only knows how good that pad feels playing last blade 2 or garou: motw!

Minneapolis

FYI, if you want to find a master of dremel, find one of the seasoned modding pros over at http://www.bacman.co.uk/bacforum/index.php

And yes, it feels real nice with Last Blade 2. Although, for most Neo Geo games I have this, plus a consolized Neo. The Gravis is Bluetooth modded for use with PC.

West Yorks, UK

ever used a neo geo cd pad, or neogeo pad usb (same but usb)? howd they stack up against the NGPC stick?
failing hiring some modder to cut the stick out, i could happily use either a converted to USB NGCD pad or the USB version of it.

My main aim is to use LGPT/ midi to replace my GP2x, but playing cps2 / neo geo games with the stick will be very nice too wink.

Minneapolis

Well, I have shots of the inside of my NGPC joystick, and have seen the insides of the CD system pad.

That's the inside of the joystick. The stick itself is a simple square post with a ball-shaped bottom, which rests in that plastic housing. Around it are 4 microswtiches, the kind that they use for computer mice. There is also a spring standing around the shaft which re-centers it. It's very simple. If you had a 3D printer you could probably make something like this without too much difficulty.

For reference, here is the CD system pad:

They tend to fail because they have a set of 4 sliding spring loaded "pushers" which are made of a very soft plastic. They tend to get worn down over time, breaking down into a crumbly white dust that clogs the cheap and unshielded tactile switches which surround the center post. The NGPC stick is far more robust and feels much better than this sliding NGCD one.

Last edited by arfink (Nov 17, 2014 10:34 pm)

Minneapolis

BTW, since my pictures stink, here is a diagram of how the Pocket joystick works:

West Yorks, UK

your'e a legend Arfink, thanks very much for the help and info! smile

Michigan

I saw the same reverse dpad mechanism inside of a toy arcade pacman game.

West Yorks, UK

same as the NGPC or the Neo Geo Cd controller?
Interesting, ive a jakks pacific pacman arcade toy I may prize apart aswell as the Neo Geo Pocket....