Hey guys,

Ok, so, as promised, the results to the survey that 101 of you took part in. Unfortunately it would seem that for some reason the survey software or perhaps the survey website had some errors at various point because there are 33 people who's answers weren't saved past the first page of questions. It's possible that 33 people just skipped the last 23 or so questions, but I don't think so. So thats a real shame.

Anyway, I would like to say a mega thank you to everyone for their efforts, I really really appreciate it! I think its pretty cool to see a few people have recently been doing surveys on chiptunes for their essays/thesis's/dissertations and I was happy to see Jansaw posted his thesis, and a massive thanks to him for sending me a copy too!

So, I'm not sure how to upload the .pdf of the results. If someone could let me know and I will do so, but beware!!!!!! it is a MASSIVE .pdf, like huge, you really really have to zoom in and it's kind of difficult to read. Unfortunately, it was the only way I could collate the results from the file I got from the survey site and its the best I could do for now. (also there are only 100 results on the .pdf not 101)

If you can't be bothered to read it though here are some interesting points from the survey.

Peoples locations:
USA: 56
England: 11
Canada: 6
Australia: 4
France: 3
Finland: 3
Netherlands: 3
Sweden: 3
Brazil: 1
Denmark: 1
Germany: 1
Ireland: 1
Israel: 1
Italy: 1
Mexico: 1
Russia: 1
South Africa: 1
Spain: 1
Wales: 1

Only 5 out of the 101 were female

Ages:
Under 18: 13
18 - 24: 33
25 - 30: 33
31 - 35: 16
36+: 6
(Apologies for any offence with this question, I should have kept standard survey question age brackets here, but the point was that if you were of an age, you grew up with these consoles as part of your life rather than them being made before you, if you get my meaning)

Do you like music that has a mix that includes chiptune elements or music that is only “pure” chiptunes?
A mix: 9
"Pure" Chiptunes: 13
Both: 47

Only 5 people out of the 68 answers I have said they make chiptunes.

How many chiptunes gigs have you been to?
0: 25
1-5: 22
6-10: 5
11-20: 6
21+: 11

Do you care if an act doesn’t use hardware such as a Gameboy or NES when performing live?
I don't care: 35
Yes, I prefer to see hardware: 30
Yes, hardware is an absolute must! It's not real otherwise: 3

Chicago, IL

Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing.

Portame, bOregon

I thought it seemed short. Reboot?

Canada

Glad to see that "I don't care" prevailed over "hardware is an absolute must"

Seattle, WA
Jansaw wrote:

Spending too much time scrutinizing someone's setup is a great way to be really boring at a show.

UK, Leicester
Dire Hit wrote:
Jansaw wrote:

Spending too much time scrutinizing someone's setup is a great way to be really boring at a show.

true, but it's always fun to see what kind of gear peeps are rocking

Last edited by Alpine (Nov 21, 2014 6:55 pm)

Brunswick, GA USA

I've always assumed more than half of us make music.

Hey guys. Yeah, some of the results are really quite interesting. I'm especially surprised by the 25 people who haven't been to a gig. I think that says quite a lot. There were some people, although they were a minority that said that they just weren't interested in going to a gig but most said it was because gigs were too hard to get too.

I wonder if there is any connection to the fact that playing computer games is, in essence a solipsistic experience - a solo experience where you are completely invested in the game. Now obviously you can play multiplayer etc, but I'm sure you understand what I mean.

Is their interest in making or listening to chiptunes akin to their experience of playing computer games where it is something you do by yourself? Do they feel that there is a connection between chiptunes and computer games or do they think of chiptunes as being something completely separate and just another genre/form of music that they're into?
If anybody who said they hadn't been to any gigs, and weren't interested are reading this, I would be really really interested in any expansion you could give.

Brunswick, GA USA

How many people do you know who can travel over 800 miles without having to worry about time and cost?

The connection with other nerdy things, the idea that going to convention is a Mecca, like a religious obligation that you must attend once in your lifetime, is a fair one, but I don't think it's the whole answer.

Last edited by chunter (Nov 22, 2014 1:29 pm)