killadelphia

I can say that I have re-adapted songs for live situations.  Say you have a 3.5min banger and it's everyone's favorite song - it's easier to take that file put some space between all of your sections in LSDJ and then trigger things in live mode. It's very easy to add chill out sections and maybe a guitar/gameboy solo this way - maybe a new variation on your best melody - extended outro to pump the crowd up - etc.  I think that is really the purpose for the live mode - to spin endless variations of the same thing.  like "Ok I'm headed to philly. They get the fuck down.  Maybe I should extend that dancey part at the end."  or like you're playing in Buffalo and they like the hard hitting secitons... or you're playing in the south so maybe you break out the banjo-style patches.  This is what my favorite solo gameboy performers do and they keep it interesting because each time i hear the person things are slightly different.  That makes going back to see the person perform more fun in the long run and I am usually motivated to catch them.  When people announce things like "new song" I really don't care...  If people say like... new arrangement of a song I like - or if they would announce that they were going to improvise a little more or add sections and mix it up - i would get super amped.  But that is just me.

Last edited by animalstyle (Nov 22, 2014 8:32 am)

São Paulo, Brazil
chunter wrote:

This burns my ass somewhat. While a rapport with the audience is important, eg. "How are you doing tonight? Are you enjoying yourselves? Thanks for having me," if what the performer is doing matters more than the music itself, why are the audience there?

While a circus-act feeling can help keep people who aren't necessarily musicians interested, and sometimes stupendous technique is part of that, and others just need a smoke machine, some lighter fluid, and a zippo, what's the point if people don't enjoy your music at face value?

And of course, it always depends on the audience. Here in Brazil, I´m used to perform for audience who are more into experimental/weird music, so they have a good time looking at what you´re doing with your gear, or they´re just hypnotized by the visuals. On the other hand, I felt slightly uncomfortably performing at Blip Festival 2012. Kris Keyser had a blast of a gig, jumping around and smashing a DMG in the end. People went nuts. Then comes this weirdo fuck from Brazil and stands there like he´s playing a round of Tetris. In any case, I think the most important thing is that the one who should have more fun is the artist himself. It´s not a matter of ^fuck the audience^. But I do think it´s the most boring thing in the world to just press play and listen to the same music you´ve listened to a bunch of times.

IL, US

my last album didn't even have a song mode version, its just made for live mode.. i've always liked seeing artists perform tracks differently than on the album, especially electronic stuff since its super easy to just play the exact thing you recorded and seeing someone run/jump/dance all over stage adds nothing to it for me personally... probably not ever going to write song mode version for d_strct ever, especially since i'm cramming whole albums in a single piggy sav and that doesn't really leave a lot of room to have stuff layed out for both live mode fun and song mode stuff

ohgodno, Indiana

i only use live mode in LSDJ, only really see song mode useful if im playing another instrument along with the GB

San Diego, CA

performing music live is kind of one of the most narcissistic things you can do, honestly

think about it -- you're taking people's time and money and asking them to stand there and listen to you, specifically, even though they could just download your music on the internet and listen to it at home

performance is a social contract you're signing with the audience, basically, and imo it's worth it to really consider that contract if you want to be known as a good performer

for some people that means crazy technical skills (araabmuzik) and for some people that means crazy spectacle (anyone playing a rave in 2014, araabmuzik)

but it's important to justify your reason for being on that stage, if only because people are spending time/money on you and you better deliver

I write all my songs in live mode and perform them in live mode, and each song is 2xLSDJ so I basically (used to) have 4 gameboys running through a mixer on stage playing 2 songs that I'm manually syncing the bpm of, and that's only because I kept looking for ways to up my performance game because I can't banter and I can't not be doing something on stage that doesn't involve tinkering with the mix or whatever

(knowing your own limitations as a performer is really important so you can cover up what you find uninteresting about your own performances)

not saying that you have to do what I do because it's super inefficient honestly, but I go into performances thinking "if I was in the audience, would I be interested in what I was doing?" and I personally think that's a good way to challenge both myself and the audience -- I'm not pandering if I think what I'm doing isn't interesting

and btw probably 75 percent of the time the answer is no

Last edited by spacetownsavior (Nov 23, 2014 5:30 pm)

hardcore, Australia

deleted

Last edited by godinpants (May 14, 2020 10:36 pm)

San Diego, CA

he's pretty good tho

Douglas, Wyoming

I think if I did a live show, it would be fun to switch back and forh between song a live to do little remixes of certain parts or to solo a channel every once in a while with some added external effects. Just make it a unique experience that you couldn't get just listening to their album and you're good.

I feel like it doesn't matter how you do it as long as the end product sounds good and the crowd has a good time.

the problem in lsdj is that live mode is called "live", but what if those were called "tracker" mode and "queue" mode ? no live then!!!

jokes apart, ive played live by plugin to the table only my android phone with mp3 of my own songs, thats was me on the show, as already had been told, If you dont lie on what you do why is that cheating ?

Last edited by r0lemusic (Nov 24, 2014 3:47 pm)

Unsubscribe

It can really be a live mode if you do a put a hop 00 at line 1. HOW FAST CAN U DPAD.

San Diego, CA

dense but it's a really interesting meditation about live performance of chipmusic: http://arpjournal.com/1888/how-to-refor … chipmusic/

Why does it matter? I feel like live mode is an alternative to really have fun with your songs, but it has a lot of room for error. I think if the artist wants to, they can, but no one should be called a "fraud" for not wanting to use it.

I personally would play most of my songs on song mode, with a few live mixes here and there, if I feel like it. That kind of thing takes practice, and a bit of skill, and honestly it's a bit of a hassle.

Chips & Dip :3

Here's a cool tip: NEVER USE LIVE MODE LIVE *insert traumatic war flashback here*

I don't see how shuffling a couple of columns around on a gameboy screen makes anyone more or less legit tbh.

France (au milieu)
4mat wrote:

I don't see how shuffling a couple of columns around on a gameboy screen makes anyone more or less legit tbh.

well it would definitely make some difference to me

no pb with the 100% song mode, if chip is used as a background among other stuff, or other instruments

but if performing ''live'' with 1 or 2xLSDJ, I would expect the performer to make some kind of ''mixing'' of his own stuff, rather than ''playing his songs one after the others'', for which we honestly don't require his (her) physical presence ?

Sesska wrote:
4mat wrote:

well it would definitely make some difference to me

no pb with the 100% song mode, if chip is used as a background among other stuff, or other instruments

but if performing ''live'' with 1 or 2xLSDJ, I would expect the performer to make some kind of ''mixing'' of his own stuff, rather than ''playing his songs one after the others'', for which we honestly don't require his (her) physical presence ?

A lot of artists who "play their songs one after another" remix their stuff for a live set, because album versions aren't viable.  And probably very few stick to the set list they go in with, after all you dictate a set based on how the audience is responding.   Either way you're hearing something you won't get without the artist involved.  Some guys have keyboards or guitars sure, but when playing "live" in this scene is usually turning a cut-off dial or moving a pattern slider around I couldn't really give a toss what the artist is doing up there.