Arizona
yogi wrote:

Cool. I've never gotten into LSDJ, maybe soon, just never ran across a gameboy yet. I've been going through the manual @ Neil's site trying to figure it out. Much fun! Nestopia sounds good but the NES sounds better, very glad to run it on HW.
Good to hear you got it going, once you get the hang of flashing it's a snap. You can also run PR8 on the SXROM board but be warned: you'll want another board so you can switch back an forth wink
Got NTRQ setup on a modded SNROM cart but it would be a snap with one of INL's boards. Also got cajoNES running on a cart, code modded to run on a SNROM cart.
Looking forward to hearing some of your jams
Yogi

We'll Pulsar is very similar to LSDJ. I personally think that if Pulsar was just a tad more familiar, it'd make it that much more powerful. Though I haven't messed with it yet, I like the idea of having an Echo screen/table but feel things like the vibrato screen can be cut in favor of that aspect being controlled via chain and table commands.

Time will tell though.

EDIT: After messing around with it some more, the navigation is really easy once you get the hang of it and use the warp gate. One of the things I was worried about was the sample quality and fixed triangle volume...

A quick little jam session with the two channels cleared that right up. the samples are nice and punchy and match the triangles volume nicely. I've never really used drum samples in LSDJ but they sound really nice in Pulsar. Very usable. The echo screen makes your pulse melodies sound nice and full. This is an amazing tracker.

Last edited by Limitbreak (Jan 18, 2014 5:35 pm)

Arizona

EDIT: Nevermind.

Last edited by Limitbreak (Jan 18, 2014 1:44 pm)

Easton, PA, USA

anybody else get the garbled graphics issue when flashing anything?

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
zerolanding wrote:

anybody else get the garbled graphics issue when flashing anything?

Do you have any problems with other carts? One of the biggest issues with the NES is the connector, so thats the first thing I look at. If it's just the flash cart, then I would say check/clean the cart edge first off.
With just a graphics issue, I don't think it's a flashing issue if the sound engine code is running without glitches. Sounds more like a interconnection problem with the CHR bus.
Yogi

Easton, PA, USA

All the other carts play in one go (fresh connector). All the commands are responsive, but cause a crash after a few moments. Every time I hit the reset button, the graphics and color pallet are further garbled. It is an sxrom 512kb .

Arizona
zerolanding wrote:

All the other carts play in one go (fresh connector). All the commands are responsive, but cause a crash after a few moments. Every time I hit the reset button, the graphics and color pallet are further garbled. It is an sxrom 512kb .

I get the garbled graphics on occasion but all I do is reset the NES and it seems to correct itself. I've never experienced a crash either...hm...

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

Is it only one ROM, Pulsar or PR8, or both? Does it always happen, every time you try re burning the PRG? do make sure you have the latest ROMs from Neil Bladwin.
Has it work in the past or always had this problem?
I know lots of questions, but trying to narrow down things.
Yogi

Easton, PA, USA

does the same with the current versions of both Pulsar and PR8, it does this everytime. I if I let it sit, it will power up normal, but the moment I try anything it freezes. Then if I let it sit it starts fine, and If I reset it then it goes haywire. I'm erasing the header to start, then reflashing the prg eachtime.  Very strange, as I have not seen it in any of the other forums. Maybe I'm missing something. I x4 the rom when I split it. I write as 512kb prg. it verifys and ok's each time. It's holding saves though.

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
zerolanding wrote:

does the same with the current versions of both Pulsar and PR8, it does this everytime. I if I let it sit, it will power up normal, but the moment I try anything it freezes. Then if I let it sit it starts fine, and If I reset it then it goes haywire. I'm erasing the header to start, then reflashing the prg eachtime.  Very strange, as I have not seen it in any of the other forums. Maybe I'm missing something. I x4 the rom when I split it. I write as 512kb prg. it verifys and ok's each time. It's holding saves though.

So,
Does it with both ROMs, not a bad bin.
Could be a flashing problem; GUI or Kazzo firmware or connection. Make sure it's seated in Kazzo connector and you are using INL's firmware, but it verifies and completes OK. so seems unlikely.
Could be a board issue, bad solder joint or device. No way to test this without more tools, should contact INL. He tests before he ships so unlikely but not impossible.

The only thing that I question is "I x4 the rom when I split it. I write as 512kb prg" Could be you wording, but I split THEN x4. The way you wrote, you would have the NES header bytes copied x3 through out the 512K ROM, at the beginning of each copy. This would be BAD. Try using http://www.kevinselwyn.com/ReadNES/
You can set the PRG size and it produces a zip with a ready to flash PRG the right size.
If you want, I can PM you a x4 PRG file that I know works.
Yogi

Easton, PA, USA
yogi wrote:

The only thing that I question is "I x4 the rom when I split it. I write as 512kb prg" Could be you wording, but I split THEN x4. The way you wrote, you would have the NES header bytes copied x3 through out the 512K ROM, at the beginning of each copy. This would be BAD. Try using http://www.kevinselwyn.com/ReadNES/
You can set the PRG size and it produces a zip with a ready to flash PRG the right size.
If you want, I can PM you a x4 PRG file that I know works.
Yogi

I would like the pm, I had x4 the file before splitting it, I'll try it the other way later. I did use kevin's site and the retro programming firmware. we'll figure this out.

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
zerolanding wrote:

I would like the pm, I had x4 the file before splitting it, I'll try it the other way later. I did use kevin's site and the retro programming firmware. we'll figure this out.

Well, yea that will prob be the fix. Split first then x4 the PRG.
I'll PM you
Yogi

Easton, PA, USA

to round of this story, turns out if I press reset a few times it my INL cart boots clear, same thing with my everdrive after I put fresh os or files. Something with capacitor discharge...Science! Another note INL has cart shells!

SLC, UT
zerolanding wrote:

Another note INL has cart shells!

OHHHHH YEAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

SLC, UT

If I want to order one for Super Bat Puncher, how do I tell which kind of board I need? Is there an easy way to see what board an NES rom needs?

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
stargazer wrote:

If I want to order one for Super Bat Puncher, how do I tell which kind of board I need? Is there an easy way to see what board an NES rom needs?

It's in the ROM header, so you could read it from there but try opening the rom in like Nestopia and going to View -> Info. Should be reported there.
Yogi

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
zerolanding wrote:

to round of this story, turns out if I press reset a few times it my INL cart boots clear, same thing with my everdrive after I put fresh os or files. Something with capacitor discharge...Science! Another note INL has cart shells!

Good to hear that you got it working.
  I've seen a similar issue on some carts i've rechiped. A cart I made for Neil Baldwin's SMMM has a funky issue when I power cycle. Have to wait like a minute to let the CHR EPROM 'bleed off', otherwise the screen is messed up; kind of a monochrome green mess. I think it's an issue with the difference between the original mask PROM and the EPROM I used.
Yogi